Jump to content
  • Donation Box

    Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Advertisemnt

  • 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims


    When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading
  • Ads

  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • Advertisemnt

  • Advertisemnt

  • Ads

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sponsored Ads

  •  ad-free-subscription-002.jpeg     fund-the-site.jpg

  • Searches Community Forums, Blog and more

Sign in to follow this  

Living Overseas

Recommended Posts


At the end of January I will be retiring and moving to Japan, where my wife and I have a home. My question is if the VA decides its time for a new CnP exam, would I have report to the nearest VAMC which I believe is in Guam? Somehow I dont think there travel allowance would quite cover the cost of reporting in just to play the same old games with them. It would be great if I could go to the Yokosuka navy base, but I know the VA doesnt care about convenience. The Embassy website gave me an obscure link, that wasn't helpful at all. Also I have two pending claims one for a rate increase and one at the DRO's desk, these claims are waiting for a decision. Would it be safe to leave without a final decision or should I wait in case, something is lost or a new exam is requested out of the blue?

Thank you for your guidance

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


The VA in all likely hood would contracr it out to some one near you. However that is an opinion. You might contact the VA you are dealing with and ask them.

Good Luck

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you wait for a final decision you could be waiting for a long time. Someone here probably knows the exact answer to your question so keep asking. I live just 25 miles from my VARO and, yet, they have failed to send me C&P notices.

If the disability rating is not going to make or break you then I would just go ahead with the move while finding out all the facts.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites




VA Foreign Medical Program (FMP) http://www.va.gov/ha...ies/fmp/fmp.asp

Assistance. With the exception of services obtained in the Philippines (see above section), any other assistance you may need from the Foreign Medical Program (FMP) can be obtained by writing to the following address. You can also use this address when submitting claims.

VA Health Administration Center

Foreign Medical Program (FMP)

PO Box 469061

Denver CO 80246-9061


Contact Method Detail

Telephone Inquiries 1-303-331-7590

Facsimile (FAX) Service1-303-331-7807

E-mail hac.fmp@med.va.gov

Assistance with Other VA Issues. While we at the FMP Office are responsible for paying claims for medical services obtained for the treatment of VA-rated service-connected conditions, please note that your servicing VA regional office is responsible for establishing service-connected conditions. They are also responsible for administering educational benefits, vocational rehabilitation and other benefit programs. Inquiries related to any of these regional office matters should be directed to your servicing VA regional office.

Veterans in Mexico, South & Central America, and the Caribbean Veterans in all other Countries

Department of Veterans Affairs

Regional Office (362/21)

6900 Almeda Road

Houston TX 77030-4200


FAX 1-713-794-3818

email houstonfsi@vba.va.gov

VA Regional Office

Foreign Claims

1000 Liberty Avenue

Pittsburgh PA 15222-4004


FAX 1-412-395-6057

Contact via the Internet: https://iris.va.gov

TOLL FREE Phone Service

USA and Canada (877) 345-8179

Germany 0800-1800-011

Australia 1 800 354 965

Italy 800 782-655

UK 0800-032-7425

Mexico 001-877-345-8179

Japan 00531-13-0871

Costa Rica 0800-013-0759

Spain 900-981-776

You can call the FMP Office Monday through Friday, 8:05 AM to 6:45 PM Eastern.

Edited by Wings

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello I can advise you what the VARO told me that at about 2 weeks prior to your move contact the VARO and give them your forwarding address if you have someone there to check your mail and a way to contact you in case you get a letter. I am moving for the winter to the Philippines myself this fall. I am only staying the winter. I know they have a VARO in Quam and a clinic in Manilia but waiting on the VA is something I would never do. Try to get a hard copy of everything you need as well as scanning stuff onto a hard drive that you can take with you. Not having made the move that is all I can tell you other than wish you luck and hope you enjoy your trip.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Ads

  • Ad

  • Latest News
  • Our picks

    • I filed for my mitral valve regurgitation heart disease secondary to a service-connected condition on 7-30-18. It was granted on 8-30-18. Since I filed for this heart valve issue and was awarded, can I still file for hypertension ? I have been seeing comments that you should file for hypertension first and file for heart disease as a secondary. Can I file for hypertension as a secondary to my heart disease ? I am alittle confused on this matter.

    • How to Change the Theme - Look and Colors
      How to Change the Theme - Look and Colors
      • 5 replies
    • For Calculating Retro

      VA Disability Compensation Rates 2012 | 2011 | 2010-2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1999

      Prior to 1999 check here https://www.hadit.com/va-disability-compensation-rates-historic-for-retro-calculation/
      • 0 replies
    • I am a 100% disabled veteran, At first I was super excited to find out I am getting retro pay for back benefits to 2006. But that was over 2 months ago. I been waiting and waiting and calling to ask them wheres my back pay. They first told me "one month" than I call again. The guy started reading a script of basically "we are malingering on paying you" type crap. I was wondering if there is any number I can call besides that 800-827-1000 number to inquire about my status. I don't know why its taken so long when there is specific information telling them from the judge that VA owes. 

      There was a remanded to see if I was eligible for IU (I get it now since 2014 im actually 90% with 10 of that been IU). I been on SS since 2004. Can Someone help me out? Thank you
      • 6 replies
    • You might have a 38 CFR 3.156 situation-

      meaning the VA might have considered your claim in 95/96 as "not well grounded" and failed to even get your STRs.Or they did get your STRs but never considered the specific entry you cited here.

      Lots of discussion under a search, of 38 CFR. 3.156 (a)(b) (c) ---here is a winner:



        • Thanks

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines