Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Service Connected Disability Surgery

Rate this question

wlphill1961

Question

I am rated at 40% for my right knee. I am going to be having my right knee replaced in 3 weeks at a VA hospital. My question has two parts: one is I was told that I would get 100% disability for 12 months while I am recovering, Is this true? My second question is, what do I have to do if that's true and how long does it take to get the money? I am only asking because my family is in desperate need of the extra money. My wife and I are taking care of 4 extra family members and we are hurting financially. Thank you so much for any help that I might get.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Sort of. The convalescence period is dependent on what your doctor says your recovery time will be, and its not always going to be 12 months, probably more like 'up to' 12 months. In order to get it youd have to apply for it after the fact, I think, though you might be able to get the wheels going while you are still in the hospital. Make sure you get a copy of all your records from your surgery so you have them rather than waiting for VARO to get a hold of them. Good luck with your surgery.

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

B.S. Doane College, Mgt Info Systems/Systems Analysis 2008

M.S.Ed. Purdue University, Instructional Development and Technology, Feb. 2021

M.S. Purdue University Information Technology/InfoSec, Dec 2022

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

-------------------------------------------
B.S. Info Systems Mgt/Systems Analysis-Doane College 2008
M.S. Instructional Technology and Design- Purdue University 2021

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

38 CFR 4.71a

5055 Knee replacement (prosthesis).

Prosthetic replacement of knee joint:

For 1 year following implantation of

prosthesis .................................... 100

With chronic residuals consisting of

severe painful motion or weakness

in the affected extremity ..... 60

With intermediate degrees of residual

weakness, pain or limitation

of motion rate by analogy to diagnostic

codes 5256, 5261, or

Minimum rating ............................... 30

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." Jimmy V

In all actuality, you will end up with 13 months convalescence pay.

When do you apply? I applied for mine when I found out when the surgery date was set. Others here stated their VARO wouldn't let them until after the surgery, so I guess it depends which RO your claim is at.

How long for money? Again, it depends on your RO, some are faster than the others.

!!!BROKEN ARROW!!!

cooter is correct. The month of surgery + 12 months of 100%.

You can try to let them know you will be having the surgery and the day after the surgery you can ask them to fax the records to the Regional Office. I believe you can contact the patients advocate or social worker and explain your situation. Maybe they will help. The convalescent claims are not supposed to be handled like a normal compensation claim, but there are people who have had to wait 3 months or longer for the pay. I think that is ridiculous, and that is why you might want to elicit some help prior to the surgery.

Good luck with the claim, and the knee. Been there, done that.

I have two more questions; I just got off the phone with my doctor's nurse and she informed me that before my right knee ( rated 40% ) could be replaced that I am going to have to see a dentist and have a rod removed ( not service connected ) from my right femur. I know that I need to have a couple of teeth removed but this was never brought up when I had my right ankle (not service connected ) fused and had hardware removed and more added. My first question is since they are requiring me to see a dentist, shouldn't the VA pay for it? At this time I cannot afford to pay for a dentist ( Social Security is taking 1/3 of my SSD for a supposed overpayment from 2004 ). My second question is while all of this is being done before the actual knee replacement do I still qualify for the temp increase of 100% while all of this is being done?

Wow! Your Dentist must be Jack of all trades. lol just kidding! What are your Dr's concerns with your teeth? Are they worried about infections?

!!!BROKEN ARROW!!!