Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Some Knowledgeable Help

Rate this question

bobbyq

Question

Recieved the following information from a "Vet"?? and I guess the question is, is this veteran entitled to a DD 214 for the military service he performed.

I was in an ROTC program voluntarily for 3 years and one quarter at Santa Clara University Sept 1975 - November 1979.

I attended the Officers Summer (boot) camp at Ft. Lewis Washington for 12 weeks (I think it may have been 15 or 16 weeks) during the summer of 1979. I had a traumatic injury to both of my ankles the first week at camp, but I toughed it out and completed summer officer's camp. The Madigan hospital radiologist did not understand why I didn't have any broken bones, but admitted they had a rotten Xray machine and that I probably had many hairline fractures through both of my ankles.

I was on a full ROTC scholarship for the last two years. My professor of military science offered me a deal. There was a change in years of service required that he felt was unfair to me, plus, if I did not hold the U.S. government responsible for my injury they would release me from my military obligation. I was not tendered a commission, but was given an honorable discharge per letter from my commander. Of course, I had to give up my ROTC scholarship (I had turned down a full California State scholoarship for the ROTC scholarship) so

I am stumped by this and do not know what to tell him. Any feedback?

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

You were injured on active duty, you were in +180 days, and you have an honorable. Sounds to me like you have a go for VA disability, or at least medical. Duty personnel don't really know the ins and outs of VA-i found this out in 2002 when I was discharged and discovered that most of what the well meaning CO and NCOs told me was BS. I am not:set for life, as one told me I would be, but I don't have to worry about medical for me, either. *shrug*

good luck.

The problem is we can not get a DD 214, the NPR will not give him one and VA is denying.

If he truly has an Honorable discharge and not an entry level separation or something, this should be a no brainer. Why no discharge papers-that is where Id start.

was in an ROTC program voluntarily for 3 years and one quarter at Santa Clara University Sept 1975 - November 1979.

I attended the Officers Summer (boot) camp at Ft. Lewis Washington for 12 weeks (I think it may have been 15 or 16 weeks) during the summer of 1979.

My question is then, does the above entitle him to a discharge and entitles him to a DD214?

bobbyq,

I think I can shed some light on this one. There are two ways to go to ROTC. One as a National Guard Soldier, the other with no affiliation. If you were NG, you would have gotten a DD214 from basic and a NGB22 for the other time. If you were attending as just a student, then you were not part of the military and you would have not gotten either.

The big key here is, did you go to basic training? NG ROTC students have(and active duty), the others didn't. Officers summer boot camp doesn't/isn't active duty as far as I know.

A NG Soldiers ROTC attendance counts toward the Soldiers retirement years, whereas, a student without affiliation doesn't, their retirement years start counting after they receive their commission after ROTC is complete.

That is why if you are going to go to ROTC and want to be an officer in the military, why would you not join the NG and get the four years counted for. No brainier for me.

By the way, I was OCS, prior enlisted. A whole nother topic.

Hamslice

Frankly, your situation does not occur that often ...

However, rather than guess or expostulate whether this gentleman qualifies as a veteran, how about looking at the book? The governing regulation appears to be 38 CFR 3.6 ( c) (4) http://www.benefits..../PART3/S3_6.DOC , based on Title 10 Chap 103 http://uscode.house..../pls/10C103.txt . That's where I'd start looking.

Recieved the following information from a "Vet"?? and I guess the question is, is this veteran entitled to a DD 214 for the military service he performed.

I was in an ROTC program voluntarily for 3 years and one quarter at Santa Clara University Sept 1975 - November 1979.

I attended the Officers Summer (boot) camp at Ft. Lewis Washington for 12 weeks (I think it may have been 15 or 16 weeks) during the summer of 1979. I had a traumatic injury to both of my ankles the first week at camp, but I toughed it out and completed summer officer's camp. The Madigan hospital radiologist did not understand why I didn't have any broken bones, but admitted they had a rotten Xray machine and that I probably had many hairline fractures through both of my ankles.

I was on a full ROTC scholarship for the last two years. My professor of military science offered me a deal. There was a change in years of service required that he felt was unfair to me, plus, if I did not hold the U.S. government responsible for my injury they would release me from my military obligation. I was not tendered a commission, but was given an honorable discharge per letter from my commander. Of course, I had to give up my ROTC scholarship (I had turned down a full California State scholoarship for the ROTC scholarship) so

I am stumped by this and do not know what to tell him. Any feedback?

Edited by Interested