Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Total Knee Replacement

Rate this question

Mcafee

Question

Hello All Hope All Is Well.

I am scheduled for total replacement on Monday.Kinda apprehensive but just want to get it over with I had to postpone surgery from last year because of Prostate Cancer.

And now 9 months post op I can proceed with replacement,Ortho surgeon wanted to make sure was on the road to recovery does not want to see any type of Infection, said knee infection is very bad.

Also went to see my therapist(MH)I took lots of documentation to show her what I have endured for many years with the VA she concurrs but she said you ill never change the system.

Provided her with a DVD copy of NVLSP as a resource for clinicians guide ETC.For Diagnosis

She has concluded bipolar but due to MST while in service is an event depression ETC.She asked me what does the VA buzz word or responce are they looking for in a diagnosis?she has concluded PTSD as well but never seen COMBAT.

Thank you for your replies.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

I'm not sure if you're asking a question? if the question is why PTSD despite not seeing combat but due to MST, there are 3 types that VA service connects. There's combat PTSD, and now a subset of that where you can have PTSD due to easing standard of fear of terrrorist activity, and then there's personal trauma, which is subdivided into sexual trauma (either harrassment or actual rape/molestation) and assault. You don't need combat for the latter.

Good luck with the knee, it is going to hurt like hell. Especially after the nerve block wears off. Do your physical therapy and more, as much as you can. You have to strengthen and stretch your leg if you want it to be normal, as possible

Hello All Hope All Is Well

Yes OH BOY HURT is putting it mildly.and alot of swelling brusing OI.

But yes it was successful 3 days in the Hospital and now Rehab CPM unit from home very diffacult to walk especially with the meds.

On the road to recovery rough.

I'VE HAD BOTH KNEE REPLACEMENTS. ONE IN 2001, I WAS VERY NERVOUS AND WORRIED. DR. SAID I WOULD BE DRIVING IN TWO WEEKS. LOOKED AT NEW KNEE, AND SAID TO MYSELF "WHAT THE HELL DID I DO TO MYSELF". FOLLOWED ORDERS AND THE DR WAS RIGHT ON. BEFORE SURGERY LOOKED LIKE I WAS RIDING HORSES MY WHOLE LIFE. PEOPLE WOULD ASK ME IF I WAS OK LIMPING ALONG AND NOT EVEN NOTICING IT. WHEN THE PAIN OF WALKING AND SLEEPING GETS TOO MUCH, WELL YOU GOT TO DO WHAT YOU GOT TO DO. I'M GLAD NOW THAT I DID REPLACE THEM AND CAN WALK AND ENJOY LIFE A LOT BETTER. EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT IN REHAB, AND RECOVERY. JUST ENDURE AND YOU'LL MAKE IT OK. I TOO HAD THE PROSTATE SURGERY, THE ALTERNATIVE IS NOT A GOOD CHOICE. HANG IN THERE BRO, HOPE YOU'LL HAVE A GOOD RECOVERY, BETTER DAYS AHEAD.

Hello All Hope All Is Well

Yes OH BOY HURT is putting it mildly.and alot of swelling brusing OI.

But yes it was successful 3 days in the Hospital and now Rehab CPM unit from home very diffacult to walk especially with the meds.

On the road to recovery rough.

not that this matters-but had double total knees done(same time)-next day-put a belt around my waist and made me get up standing-the phrase "have no good leg to stand on" has a profound meaning to me-also interesting and a challenge-trying to go to the bath room(think about it) having just had a double knee replacement