VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Depressive Disorder Nos

Rate this question

Curleysue

Question

Have a question regarding a C&P I got back, background just separated from the military, honorable discharge, just got out to take care of medical and start new. I recieved this as my axis for depression at which I thought was secondary to Hypothyroidism, I think this means they think it is a primary.

Axis I: Depressive disorder, NOS

Axis II: No diagnosis

Axis III: Hypothyroid Disorder: Chronic Back Pain

Axis IV: Problems related to chronic medical disorder

Axix V: Global Assessment of Functioning (GAF): 50

her remarks were:

The Veteran's symptoms of depression started during the context of the veteran's diagnosis of hypothyrodism. However, the veteran's symptoms of depression and anxiety have continued and worsened after being medically treated for Hypothyroidism. Thus, it is more likely than not that the Veteran's Symptoms of depression and anxiety was initiated by the Thyroid Disease; however these symptoms have persistented greatly and thus warrant a primary diagnosis of Depressive Disorder, NOS at this time.

Any idea of what this could possibly be rated?

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

I had a GAF of 50 and I got 70% TDIU. The main question for rating MH conditions is "can you work". I had the same symptoms before and I got (30%) because I was working. When I retired on disability and got SSD then I got TDIU.

Because I am still new at this what is TDIU? I am sure at some point I am going to have to move up in this process if ever I become not eligible to work?

Because I am still new at this what is TDIU? I am sure at some point I am going to have to move up in this process if ever I become not eligible to work?

total disability individual unemployability.....if your service connected disability or disabilities prevent you from working, you can get 100 percent, even if your rating is less. hope that helps! :-)

• HadIt.com Elder

Sue

This is why you want good ratings on all your conditions because sometime in the not so distant future you may not be able to work and you don't want to start from a low rating to try and get TDIU. Usually, if you have 70% and over getting TDIU is not so hard. It still is not easy. You just can't tell what your condition will be in 10-20 years from now.

Sue,

OK, from all that has been posted so far, the following is how I see it

and I'm not an expert, believe me.

It looks like :

1) Thyroid disease should be SC'd and if the medical evidence shows

residual disability it will most likely be assigned a percentage evaluation.

I have no guess as to what percentage evaluation might be assigned.

2) Depression should be SC'd as secondary to the Thyroid disease -

my guess is, it should be 30 - 50 percent.