VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Depressive Disorder Nos

Rate this question

Curleysue

Question

Have a question regarding a C&P I got back, background just separated from the military, honorable discharge, just got out to take care of medical and start new. I recieved this as my axis for depression at which I thought was secondary to Hypothyroidism, I think this means they think it is a primary.

Axis I: Depressive disorder, NOS

Axis II: No diagnosis

Axis III: Hypothyroid Disorder: Chronic Back Pain

Axis IV: Problems related to chronic medical disorder

Axix V: Global Assessment of Functioning (GAF): 50

her remarks were:

The Veteran's symptoms of depression started during the context of the veteran's diagnosis of hypothyrodism. However, the veteran's symptoms of depression and anxiety have continued and worsened after being medically treated for Hypothyroidism. Thus, it is more likely than not that the Veteran's Symptoms of depression and anxiety was initiated by the Thyroid Disease; however these symptoms have persistented greatly and thus warrant a primary diagnosis of Depressive Disorder, NOS at this time.

Any idea of what this could possibly be rated?

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Yeah that is kind of what I figured. I can work so far, and have been working but, didn't know how they determine wether to give 30% or 50%.

If you are unable to work 100% if you are working or they think you can work 30% to 50%.

Good Luck

If you are unable to work 100% if you are working or they think you can work 30% to 50%.

Good Luck

sorry, i disagree. i was rated 30 percent. the doctor who did my C&P stated although, i retired years ago for medical reasons, it was highly unlikely i could ever work again (even in a sedentary job) because of the chornic nature of my depression and the fact i suffer from periods of social isolation.

do i think i should have a higher percentage? absolutely, but since the VA is processing me for IU, i'm letting that take priority.

curly sue, if you can get a copy of your C&P exam and look at the rating schedule for mental health, you'll have a much better idea of what they will give you. i did. i predicte 50 percent and they gave me 30.

Edited by iceturkee

Have a question regarding a C&P I got back, background just separated from the military, honorable discharge, just got out to take care of medical and start new. I recieved this as my axis for depression at which I thought was secondary to Hypothyroidism, I think this means they think it is a primary.

Axis I: Depressive disorder, NOS

Axis II: No diagnosis

Axis III: Hypothyroid Disorder: Chronic Back Pain

Axis IV: Problems related to chronic medical disorder

Axix V: Global Assessment of Functioning (GAF): 50

her remarks were:

The Veteran's symptoms of depression started during the context of the veteran's diagnosis of hypothyrodism. However, the veteran's symptoms of depression and anxiety have continued and worsened after being medically treated for Hypothyroidism. Thus, it is more likely than not that the Veteran's Symptoms of depression and anxiety was initiated by the Thyroid Disease; however these symptoms have persistented greatly and thus warrant a primary diagnosis of Depressive Disorder, NOS at this time.

Any idea of what this could possibly be rated?

Cs,

Welcome to hadit.com

These are my thoughts and questions as your profile shows no service connection (SC) at this time.

The first thing is that a condition needs to get granted as SC'd, next is at what percentage and

third is what effective date is applied to the claim issue.

The way I read this is your depression is the Primary Mental Health diagnosis and that the opinion states

the depression is the results of the Thyroid disease/Hypothyroidism.

The way I'm thinking is that the Thyroid disease/Hypothyroidism would need to be SC first

and then the depression could be granted as a secondary SC - to the Thyroid disease.

Have you ever filed a claim for the Thyroid disease or are you SC'd for it ?

Was the Thyroid disease diagnosed and/or treated on active duty ?

If your depression is adjudicated as SC'd - I don't read anything in this C&P that addresses your residual symptoms

from depression and/or how your depression effects your life or occupational and social impairment,

so at this time I don't see anyway to try and guess at what a percentage would be.

I am fuzzy this morning, other's will chime in.

• HadIt.com Elder

I had a GAF of 50 and I got 70% TDIU. The main question for rating MH conditions is "can you work". I had the same symptoms before and I got (30%) because I was working. When I retired on disability and got SSD then I got TDIU.

Carlie,

These are my thoughts and questions as your profile shows no service connection (SC) at this time.

The first thing is that a condition needs to get granted as SC'd, next is at what percentage and

third is what effective date is applied to the claim issue.

This is my first claim with mutilple other things I am claiming. Initial just got out of the military. All are service related according to the C&P's

The way I read this is your depression is the Primary Mental Health diagnosis and that the opinion states

the depression is the results of the Thyroid disease/Hypothyroidism.

The way I'm thinking is that the Thyroid disease/Hypothyroidism would need to be SC (Is Service Related according to C&P), first

and then the depression could be granted as a secondary SC - to the Thyroid disease.

Have you ever filed a claim for the Thyroid disease or are you SC'd for it ? Thyroid is included in this claim with multiple other things.

Was the Thyroid disease diagnosed and/or treated on active duty ? Yes

If your depression is adjudicated as SC'd - I don't read anything in this C&P that addresses your residual symptoms

from depression and/or how your depression effects your life or occupational and social impairment,

so at this time I don't see anyway to try and guess at what a percentage would be.

I am fuzzy this morning, other's will chime in.

Sorry about not including the day to day residuals, I will list what is on the C&P below

Social functions:

isolates self

doesn't appropriately interact with others

doesn't engage in social activities

not able to meet work demands and responsibilities

Duration & Frequency of Symptoms

Chronic & Continuous

Severity of Symptoms

Moderate to servere

Activities of daily living-moderate

routine responsibilities-moderate

Family Role-Moderate to Severe