Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Central Sleep Apnea

Rate this question

cooter

Question

My Dr has me on morphine and percs for my pain. Now my sleep study I just had shows sever Central apnea, and he says, more than likely it's due to the opiates I'm on.

My question is, if I filed a claim for the apnea, will they deny me cause its the meds that causing it or will they just try to get me off of the meds so I wouldn't have apnea?

Coot

!!!BROKEN ARROW!!!

• Answers 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

My pain is already classified under my MDD, I think, since my MDD was granted as secondary to it. Wouldn't claiming it on its own be pyramiding?

CAS

That is a good letter from your doctor about the Apnea being SC'ed. Damn good letter for a claim for Chronic Pain Disorder as well.

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

B.S. Doane College, Mgt Info Systems/Systems Analysis 2008

M.S.Ed. Purdue University, Instructional Development and Technology, Feb. 2021

M.S. Purdue University Information Technology/InfoSec, Dec 2022

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

-------------------------------------------
B.S. Info Systems Mgt/Systems Analysis-Doane College 2008
M.S. Instructional Technology and Design- Purdue University 2021

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, but perhaps if you filed an increase for the MDD it would help. Are you 100% or TDIU as of now? Here you are a vet with major physical problems, MDD, inability to sleep, chronic pain so how can you work and how can you even take care of yourself?

I have an increase in for MDD now. I'm at 30% for that.

I work for a software company, that has modified my job description so I don't deal 1:1 with clients or travel like everyone else, and im the only one that can work from home in the middle of the night other than the VP, my boss. I do a lot of the deep database diving and I help with program development. It is a really sedentary job, and now that I have the CPAP so I get decent sleep my concentration has increased, which is a plus. Im only 70% overall right now-40% spine, 30 Depression, 10% radiculopathy, 0% guy issues, and 10% tinnitus. Since they haven't decided to fire me yet :-) and they work with me and my issues (we are a really small company with some real personalities....) I can't really file for TDIU. I don't want to just quit, either.

CAS

Yes, but perhaps if you filed an increase for the MDD it would help. Are you 100% or TDIU as of now? Here you are a vet with major physical problems, MDD, inability to sleep, chronic pain so how can you work and how can you even take care of yourself?

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

I did the take home study in August, within the week I got a call to pick up an APAP machine, it's the same as a CPAP but will adjust the pressure. I didn't have any problem adjusting to the mask but sometimes I have problems with the hose. I've gone from waking up every hour to maybe once a night. I really like the fact that most days I don't need to take a nap two or three hours after getting up.

Rick

Take nothing but pictures Leave nothing but footprints

I KNOW! I work in software support/conversion/client training, and database spelunking. 3-5 hours of fitful sleep every night for the last few years is not conducive to pushing one's brain around.

I love sleeping the more I get used to the mask and the tube flopping around at night.

I did the take home study in August, within the week I got a call to pick up an APAP machine, it's the same as a CPAP but will adjust the pressure. I didn't have any problem adjusting to the mask but sometimes I have problems with the hose. I've gone from waking up every hour to maybe once a night. I really like the fact that most days I don't need to take a nap two or three hours after getting up.

Rick

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

• HadIt.com Elder

I think it is good to work as long as you are able. If you do get fired you have enough of a rating to file for TDIU and SSD. It is good to know. I would start my disability savings account now. You have to plan for these things.