Jump to content
  • Advertisemnt

  • 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims


    When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading
  • Ads

  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • Advertisemnt

  • VA Watchdog

  • Advertisemnt

  • Ads

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

  • Searches Community Forums, Blog and more

  • Ad Free Subscription.jpgOne Time Financial Gift.jpg

    Subscriptions and Gifts are NOT Tax Deductible. HadIt.com is NOT a Non Profit.

  • 0

To Voc Rehab Or Not?


Hello All,

History: My husband was awarded 50% PTSD back in July 2011. Part of the VA reasoning for not awarding a higher percentage was because he hadn't applied for SSDI or Voc Rehab. (BTW: I thought a veteran could only apply for Voc Rehab after they were rated, so using that reason for a lower percentage is ridiculous.)

As a result, my husband filed for an increase (we were advised that an appeal would take forever) which included a strong medical opinion for 100%. The claim is in development, and the VA has added many of the previous claim documents to the file such as the application for TDIU, personal statements etc. At the same time as filing the claim for increase, my husband also applied for SSDI.

My question is: should he also apply for Voc Rehab? We feel, as well as his doctor, that Voc Rehab will not be able to offer him any education or employment services due to the PTSD. (If that's their ruling, then it can only help his 100% plight).

I don't know where to turn in this application. The instructions say to turn into any VA office. Does that mean medical? I can't figure out how to apply online through E-benefits.

As a side note, when my husband received his initial rating letter, I put together a NOD. When we took it to the DAV, he said that a NOD would take years to resolve and advised my husband to file the increase instead. I haven't sent the NOD, however, I was thinking about changing the wording and submitting it as a Statement in Support of Claim because I feel like it has some good points. My husband also has a claim in for Dependents, both claims since August, and he hasn't received a VCAA notice for either to date.

Just looking for some suggestions from others that are more experienced with the VA than me.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

If the Voc Rehab feel that your husband is unemployable he will have that on his record which helps a lot of Veterans get 100% and he would also be eligible for Independent Living Program where VA assesses what would help Veteran most and than pay for it.

Most Veterans used to get computers but it will pay for a lot of other things. I have a plan right now for Voc Rehab to buy a tempurpedic bed and possibly a new AC system for our house.

I got 100% after getting SSD but nothing about Voc Rehab. Good Luck

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


You were given some very bad advice about not appealing the 50% rating. I would ditch whoever is advising you. If you don't file the NOD you will lose your effective date. You can file the NOD and ask for a DRO Hearing. By the time you get the hearing all your other things like SSDI and Voc Rehab could be resolved. What you really need is medical evidence that your husband cannot work.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not file a NOD just yet. You just got the award in July 2011. You have a strong IMO since then that would award 100%. I would withdraw my request for increase and ask for a reconsideration on the original award based on the new evidence. Then if something doesn't happen by next July you can then file a NOD to preserve you Effective Date.

I personnaly hand carry all documents to the local RO and submit them and have them make a copy after they have stamped them as received. They don't like to do it but they will if you press them.

Good Luck and thanks for your(and your husbands) service.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Reconsideration would be a good idea. Just remember the NOD clock is running. Don't wait until one week before time runs out to file the NOD. As I understand it you must have new evidence for a reconsideration. I have done reconsiderations and regular NOD appeals. I don't know if one is any better than the other. If you want a face-to-face you need to file a NOD and ask for a DRO Hearing. Reconsiderations can be faster than NOD/Appeal route.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

The DAV rep told us that the Nevada RO does not recognize Reconsideration Requests. It's either a NOD or a request for increase.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Our picks

    • Type 1 Diabetes recent onset!
      I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in September 2017 OUT OF NOWHERE.

      i am a Navy Reservist and deployed in later 2009 to mid 2010 and again later 2014 to mid 2015; had a 2 year recall between those deployments.  

      Only healthcare received since commissioning in 2008 was from the Navy and no issues EVER.

      insulin dependent and have dietary restrictions and in a non deployable status.

      VA denied initial claim due to Type 1 not showing on active duty and now appealing.

      Anyone with successful experience getting a rating with my circumstances?  I live in Upstate New York.
      • 9 replies
    • Agent Orange Kadena Afb Okinawa
      I am looking for anyone who was on Kadena AFB, Okinawa or .Chanute AFB, IL. My dad was there from Oct. 68-April 70. He has ichemic heart disease, diabetes which has resulted in the amputation of his right leg below the knee and peripheral neuropathy. We were denied in 2002 AMVETS filed a claim on his behalf for heart condition, diabetes and back problems. I refiled in December 2011 and have just received the claim statements and medical release forms. I am familiar with filling out this paper work because my husband is a combat veteran of Iraqi Freedom. I have been reading articles from the Japan times and I am a member of the Agent Orange Okinawa facebook page. Another thing that helps make my dad's case is that he was on Chanute AFB, IL and it is on the EPA Superfund list and has PCBs/Pesticides and Dioxins/Furans listed as ground and water contaminants. I welcome any advice, tips or articles that I may have missed in my own research.
        • Like
      • 15 replies
    • CBO Options for Reducing the Deficit: 2019 to 2028 Published Dec 2018
      CBO Options for Reducing the Deficit: 2019 to 2028 - This CBO Report has been making the news. This post includes parts relevant to veterans. Nothing has been decided as of yet and some seem very unlikely but you never know. Forewarned is Forearmed.


      • 8 replies
    • 2019 Veterans Benefits
      State Benefits, Space A and More ... https://www.hadit.com/2019-changes-to-veterans-benefits-state-and-federal/
      • 2 replies
    • Appeal granted and closed.
      My appeal was granted and closed on November 9.  I got an unofficial notification from the DAV on November 15 stating "appeal granted with an evaluation of 30%" which is great!  My question is this:  How long until I get the official notification from the va? Nothing on ebennies has updated since the appeal closed. Appeal is now in historical and just says complete and at originating va office. I understand no one knows va timelines to a tee but a general timeline would be great.  Thank you all! Hope you have a Merry Christmas!


      Edit:  This was my first time appealing and it was a VBA grant. 
        • Like
      • 6 replies
  • Ads

  • Popular Contributors

  • Ad

  • Latest News
  • Create New...

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines