VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

"intervetebral Disc Syndrome" Vs "lumbosacral Strain"

Rate this question

autumn

Question

would anyone know what is the difference in rating/pay between these two:

"intervetebral disc syndrome" vs "lumbosacral strain" or "back strain"?

mil medically discharged me with herniated disks

a few months later, VA switched it to back strain

over the years i have yet to have mri's that showed anything but bulging disks, severe degenerative disease, radiculopathy.

so would "back strain" be correct or would "intervetebral disc syndrome" with regards to correct rating?

My initial rating in 1986 call my problem a chronic lumbosacral strain under 5295.

In 1998 the va changed the diagnosis to low back strain ,degenerative disc disease , left foot drop under 5293

The latest va papers indicate it is rated under 5243 but still rated as low back strain, with degenerative disc disease and foot drop. ( I am rated under the previous rating guidelines)

The codes seem to change as the rating guide changes and as the disease progresses and results in a new diagnosis.

lumbosacral Strains,is rated under 5237 and it appers also under code 5320

Under the present rating guidelince siatiac pain and other related nerve problems are rated using the guidelines for Neurological conditions starting at the 8000 codes....

Edited by Teac

My initial rating in 1986 call my problem a chronic lumbosacral strain under 5295.

In 1998 the va changed the diagnosis to low back strain ,degenerative disc disease , left foot drop under 5293

The latest va papers indicate it is rated under 5243 but still rated as low back strain, with degenerative disc disease and foot drop. ( I am rated under the previous rating guidelines)

The codes seem to change as the rating guide changes and as the disease progresses and results in a new diagnosis.

lumbosacral Strains,is rated under 5237 and it appers also under code 5320

Under the present rating guidelince siatiac pain and other related nerve problems are rated using the guidelines for Neurological conditions starting at the 8000 codes....

thanks, & sorry for taking so long to get back.

i was hospitalized last summer with foot drop -- didn't realize that was ratable. glad you mentioned it. of course, no one seems to be able to tell me if it is my spine or ms that is causing the foot drop. LOL

look like the codes are correct then for the current guidelines. i'm so skeptical of the va system

thanks, & sorry for taking so long to get back.

i was hospitalized last summer with foot drop -- didn't realize that was ratable. glad you mentioned it. of course, no one seems to be able to tell me if it is my spine or ms that is causing the foot drop. LOL

look like the codes are correct then for the current guidelines. i'm so skeptical of the va system

If you do get service connection for the drop foot you should also be awarded a k award for loss of use of the foot. If you get loss of use, that will result in the automobile grant ( I think it is 20K now) and auto adaptive equipment.

If you do get service connection for the drop foot you should also be awarded a k award for loss of use of the foot. If you get loss of use, that will result in the automobile grant ( I think it is 20K now) and auto adaptive equipment.

good info. going to a new VA hospital for in-stay 3day C&P at a SCI/D hospital clinic soon. hoping this is a good experience and get things correctly listed versus the past VA experiences that dodge things, if you know what i mean.

thx

Not necessarily, I have foot drop and spinal issues lumbar, cervical and left hip and bilateral sciatica in both legs, residuals of injury to left foot and I have left foot drop. The podiatrist or PCP at the VA has yet to tell me what is causing my foot drop. They treat it and I have all sorts of prosthetics. Yet the VA most recently increased my foot rating from 20% to 30% and said although it was severe that 30% was enough for severe symptoms such as foot drop. They denied my loss of use of that foot and although it is not equal to that of an amputee. I have loss of use as with function. My foot stays swollen, different temperatures, and dropped and in severe stabbing pain when I attempt to weight bear at all on it. It is also partially numb and feels like half of my underfoot is asleep. So between the numbness and pain and loss of function, I still did not get any special anything (no K) and I did get 30% and stated for severe symptoms. I drag my left foot and left leg If I attempt to step just two steps, the leg is very weak. So not necessarily that with foot drop they will automatically give you loss of use or 40% or special K.

Not necessarily, I have foot drop and spinal issues lumbar, cervical and left hip and bilateral sciatica in both legs, residuals of injury to left foot and I have left foot drop. The podiatrist or PCP at the VA has yet to tell me what is causing my foot drop. They treat it and I have all sorts of prosthetics. Yet the VA most recently increased my foot rating from 20% to 30% and said although it was severe that 30% was enough for severe symptoms such as foot drop. They denied my loss of use of that foot and although it is not equal to that of an amputee. I have loss of use as with function. My foot stays swollen, different temperatures, and dropped and in severe stabbing pain when I attempt to weight bear at all on it. It is also partially numb and feels like half of my underfoot is asleep. So between the numbness and pain and loss of function, I still did not get any special anything (no K) and I did get 30% and stated for severe symptoms. I drag my left foot and left leg If I attempt to step just two steps, the leg is very weak. So not necessarily that with foot drop they will automatically give you loss of use or 40% or special K.

It seems to me that if you were not granted loss of use.. someone at the va may not have done their job.... I think You should be seeing a neurologist for the dropfoot not a foot or PCP doctor.

4.63 Loss of use of hand or foot.Loss of use of a hand or a foot, for the purpose of special monthly compensation, will be held to exist when no effective function remains other than that which would be equally well served by an amputation stump at the site of election below elbow or knee with use of a suitable prosthetic appliance. The determination will be made on the basis of the actual remaining function of the hand or foot, whether the acts of grasping, manipulation, etc., in the case of the hand, or of balance and propulsion, etc., in the case of the foot, could be accomplished equally well by an amputation stump with prosthesis.