Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Received Award

Rate this question

Maureenjls

Question

Berta,

Received my award letter on November 12, 2011 - Decision - Service connection for the cause of death is granted, finally after 17 years......I am totally thrilled.

Retro money is for extended burial allowance -

No mention of REPS benefits - Is this an entity in itself or should it be included in my award letter?

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

So disgusted.....Called the VA 800# yesterday and today, no one, I mean no one knows anything about REPS or the status of my claim. I had to explain what the benefit was to one of them. It is not even on their screen. Whats happening is, they set up an inquiry for someone to call me. In the mean time, I called the REPS guy in St. Louis and he gave me a person to ask for but no phone number. So I called the 800 number again, and asked for this lady and they said "can not transfer calls"....and set up another inquiry. I also sent an IRIS this morning. Boy, this back and forth with the VA never stops does it? Im prepared to see it thru to the end. My husband would be so proud.

Maureen

Forgot to mention, the REPS guy only does the money, the RO decides eligibility.

I called 1-314-552-9803 and got the voice mail box for Paul Nett.

Also I found the REPS Fax number 1-314-552-9616

Paul Nett was the one I had problems with.

Prior to that a Mr. Charles Jacobs started my application process , I faxed stuff to him at the above Fax number ,and he was even able to estimate the payment amount.

Unfortunately Charles was transferred to a different VA office and I had to deal with Nett-

what an idiot. Maybe he learned how to read by now- I am very upset that he is still handling REPS applications.

I suggest you leave your number in his voice mail and if he does not respond or doesn't seem to be able to advise you properly on the REPS application I will see what else could be done.

Actually REPS is a SSA program that depends on a VA award letter.

When I called REPS today,I flashed back to the ridiculous run a round I got from Paul Nett.

SSA checks our SSA payments as to eligibility and then sends REPS in ST Louis a statement of the benefits we are eligible for under REPS.It should go very smoothly.

But when SSA responded to Paul on my SSA benefits-Paul Nett could not even read their letter correctly. I went over his head -probably called VA Central but forget what happened next or who I called.

I think I filed a complaint on him via Iris too.

With the FAx number above maybe that is the best way to reach him. My REPS check didn't take long to arrive-as I had sent Mr. Jacobs by Fax everything he needed.

I forgot the miserable experience I had with Paul.

Maybe he got smarter on these claims. He told me himself they only get a few a month.

I didnt leave my name for a call back on his voice mail-maybe I should have - I am sure he remembers how I had to teach him to read a simple statement from the SSA.

it is Disgusting the way some of us widows get treated.

I will email a contact in the VA Survivors program to see what they suggest.

I imagine maybe you wont have a problem at all.

I had sent my VA award letter in with my application directly to REPS and the initial REPS man (Charles Jacobs) immediately verified my SC death award with the VA by phone or fax to my RO.

As long as they have all the information they need regarding the SSA criteria, there should be no problem.

If you have any problems please contact the Survivors Office at the VA:

officeofSurvivors@va.gov

I faxed everything they needed directly to the REPS Dept in St. Louis before my award, and as soon as I got the award letter I faxed that right along. Ill sit tight until I hear from someone on my inquiry. I would like to thank you so very much for all your help, and I will let you know the outcome.

Maureen