Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Advise

Rate this question

Mil T

Question

Hello.

I need some advise for a claim for Korean Vet.

I have been assisting a Korean Vet that was shot in the wrist during Korean War. His records were burned in the 73 fire. We have turned in picture of him in Hospital with arm in sling. Letters from sisters that confirmed his injury when he came home. He has turned in stressor letters explaining as much as he remembers of injury.

My question is how else to submit information to help confirm injury and service. He does not have normal DD214. He received a certificate of service because of missing files.

My thinking is that he should get the benefit of doubt since the VA can't produce anything more than we can. He was Infantry in the 2nd Infantry division. He remembers getting a CIB and Purple Heart but does not have any orders or records of any kind. He has a hard time remembering units, company's etc. We were able to bring up that he was there in 1952 Feb. March and April with the help of his sisters and his memory.

If anyone has any suggestions for moving forward please let me know. I have seen the form NA-13055 request for information needed to reconstruct medical data that I figured I'd send in for him.

Thanks for your help.

Mil T

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

Has the vet sent an SF-180 to the NPRC requesting his records? If he has not I would do that. It is my understanding that the fire destroyed only WW II records. If he sends an SF-180 plan on at least 6 months to get them, you can also request an updated DD-214, this will take longer. Oh! make sure you request all records to include the SMR's. I just got mine and they sent me records that the VA does not have. They are about to get another big claim from me.