Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Back From Ssdi Mental Health Exam

Rate this question

westcoastlv

Question

So my husband has his SSDI Mental Health Exam today for PTSD, Anxiety and Depression. The exam lasted about an hour and a half.

Recap: The examiner asked background questions like where did you grow up, do you have any brothers and sisters, parents and what they all do for a living. Was there any history of mental illness in the family, do you have suicidal or homicidal thoughts, delusions. Are there any hospilitizations for mental illness, etc. The examiner asks for you to explain all of your answers. Then the examiner asked what all do you do in a 24-hour period, when and how long do you sleep, do you go anywhere or do anything, chores, cook, clean, etc. Have you been to college or any higher education, how did that turn out. Are you working, when is the last time you worked, how many jobs were you fired from and why. Are you looking for work, why not. Why can't you work.

Then comes the testing. 3 words to repeat now then repeat later. Repeat a series of number, at first 2, then 3, then up to six. Then asked to repeat number sequences backwards. Some simple math problems. Word relation questions like what does this and that have in common, asked about famous people in history, asked to copy shapes onto a piece of paper and follow the instructions at the bottom of the sheet.

What was interesting is, my husband did very well in explaining his symptoms and how they affect his daily life. He did very well in explaining that his anxiety keeps him in the house, how he doesn't drive, and how he is a power keg out in public. 1-point for husband. However, he also did very well with the testing portion, which the examiner sort of suggested was 1-point for SSDI to deny. This was a mental health exam to see how his PTSD, Anxiety and Depression affects his daily life, not whether or not he is retarded. The math questions were what's 3+5 or 15/3. We never claimed mental retardation, and I think the fact that he can add and subtract should not be held against him. Also, I don't think it should be held against him that he happens to know who Dr. Martin Luther King Jr was. The testing portion seemed to be a set up for failure. PTSD does not mean you can't add or answer simple questions.

Well, I guess we will just see how it goes.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

I am so glad you posted this since I have mine coming up soon and I was wondering what to expect - if it was like a C & P or not! Thank you!!!!!! I thing the math and the other part of the testing is to test memory and focal skills or something of the sort. but don't quote me on it lol

You're welcome USMCGIRL. I had been looking all over on the internet about how this exam would go so I am glad I can let someone else know now that I know. I wasn't bad at all, I guess the overall message is how your symptoms prevent you from working. As long as you keep that in mind, you will do just fine.

SSA and VBA are completely different.

SSA is adjudicated on ALL disabling conditions

and a claim is either completely denied or Fully Favorable, due to a determination of totally disabled .

VBA disability compensation is based only on SC'd conditions and can provide adjudication

at many different percentage levels - that then go thru the VA's version of disability math known

as the combined rating table.

• HadIt.com Elder

My experience on Social Security exam was similar to your husbands I am diagnosed with Panic Disorder with agoraphobia and Major Depression.

Part of your husbands exam was to check how impaired he is. From your description of exam and his answers I don't think you have anything to worry about. The key for your hsuband for now is for Doc to determine he can't work for at least a year. Your husbands symptoms would indicate that he can not.

I got Social Security based on first exam I hope that your husband does also.

Good Luck

Pete