Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lower Back Disability

Rate this question

orlando107

Question

I have a 50% combined disability in which I only receive 40% payment. Of that 20% is for Degenerative Arthritis of the spine. I was recently diagnosed by VA with L5 grade 1 posterolisthesis and Degenerative disc and facet disease, increased. I believe my condition is getting worse and I was told by a VA doctor that I was not getting what I was supposed to get monetary wise. Can you help me with this. Is it true and should I claim and increased due to this new findings?

New here. Retired in 1984 with the OLE 10% for our back. Should have been more. Increase requested Jun 2011. Still waiting. L4-L5-S1 all are affected with pain and numness in back, legs, and toes. Radiculopathy in both legs. Mine has gotten to the point that my neuroguy was talking fusion surgery but at the last appt he did a 180 and we are doing epidurals for now. Slough52.. You might want to get a copy of your MRI results from the place where it was done. Should be available by now. Most places ask you to sign a release of info form. smile.png

Edited by oldranger821

Oldranger821

I can't comment on your back issues but, I would like to let you know that since you are retired you should be aware of CRSC (combat related special compensation) and CRDP (concurrent retired disability pay) You should research both of these as they will apply to you once you have resolved all of your issues with the VA.

here is a link to CRSC http://www.military.com/benefits/content/military-pay/special-pay/combat-related-special-compensation-crsc-faqs.html

here is a link to M21 which explains both http://www.benefits.va.gov/WARMS/M21_1MR1.asp

Yeah. thanks Boomer. I have been doing my research on Both of those. My VSO says that I should not have a problem making it past the 50% mark that is required to get the CRDP and I am a boots on the ground Nam vet so the other is there too. Just wish they would award my claim....

Orlando. Have you had the C&P for your back in regards to your recent claim. Like J basser said they look at ROM test that are done at the C&P. That is only part of it. If you have records of treatment for the disability or anything that is related to it. i.e. Doc says your back is causing you to limp and this is causing your knee to hurt. Read up on the ROM in the regs. By no means JOHN WAYNE things at the appt for your back. When he/she tells you to bend forward, ONLY go till it hurts!!!! no farther....If you have had one of these, you already know what they doing. Once they award my claim that is working now, I WILL be filing a NOD for the back portion because my C&P for my spine was a joke and that is another story.

By all means , file for an increase.