Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Cannot Verify Stressor

Rate this question

wifeofvet

Question

Forgive my ignorance here. I'm still learning. My husband is being treated for PTSD/Depression thru VA psychiatrist. He is on SSDI for anxiety disorder. But I'm afraid he cannot prove his stressor. He doesn't have any combat medals or ribbons. He did serve in a combat zone. We did manage to get a newspaper article on the supposed attack (the stressor) and a buddy letter but I'm told that it's not good enough. I realize now that we should have put in a claim for Depression the same time we put in for PTSD. Can he put in another claim for PTSD and Depression or put in a new claim for depression? We haven't gotten a response on the PTSD claim yet but without a stressor, we are not looking at an approval. What sort of evidence would we need for a depression claim?

• Answers 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Thank you Berta for the inspiration. He hasn't been denied just yet. We received a letter for VA saying that the evidence does not show that he meets all of the qualifications requirements and we need to submit new evidence. I know he is missing the nexus which we will have hopefully on his next dr's visit. The only other requirement that I can think of would be the darn stressor. I'll contact JSRRC and see what comes up. I didn't contact them thinking that an attack didn't occur. It was a threat of one. So why would there be a record of an alleged attack? Would they take into concideration that he was diagnosed with Acute Stress Disorder while in PLDC school? According to his VA dr's, this is the beginning stages of PTSD. He was diagnosed with PTSD 5 months later and has been on meds ever since.

"Would they take into concideration that he was diagnosed with Acute Stress Disorder while in PLDC school? According to his VA dr's, this is the beginning stages of PTSD"

Do you have documented proof of that?

"He was excused from the school due to Post Deployment Adjustment Problems and Acute Stress Disorder."

What type of Discharge from the Military did he get?

"He hasn't been denied just yet. We received a letter for VA saying that the evidence does not show that he meets all of the qualifications requirements and we need to submit new evidence"

Did the VA question his Time in Service or his Discharge?

As to the stressor:

It looks as though your husband does not fall under the new PTSD criteria which is here:

and he will need to prove the stressor.

I suggest you read my post here:

This is one of many posts here regarding Buddy Statements:

You stated:

"The stressor was a planned attack on his camp." This happened in NCO school?

This sounds like a war game-common to all military training- and I certainly do not believe it would be be considered a stressor by the VA.

Wifeofvet, thanks for standing by your hubby and working so hard to help him. You're a superhero in disguise.

As to your question, if the attack was planned, the unit would have been preparing for it. This intensified prep should be part of the morning reports. Is getting ready, expecting the attack your husband's only stressor? Is it possible that something else happened that he hasn't shared with you yet? The diagnoses he has sound like he should be SC'd PTSD, but maybe he hasn't experienced the big BANG that they want. It could be the daily, hourly, non-stop grind of stress and fear that's made him ill. PTSD is not the only diagnosis that could give him SC - Anxiety Disorder and Major Depressive Disorder are service connectable as well. PTSD gets all the press, but it's not the only jar on the shelf.

Good luck, dear lady, and take care of yourself, okay?

Wifeofvet do you see the profound difference in the two forums? One provides encouragement. The other of plaints of the absurdity of the claim and the stories told by your ill husband. I don't have a crystal ball, but hopefully you guys can get something rated whether it's PTSD, depression, or anxiety. Good luck

"Would they take into concideration that he was diagnosed with Acute Stress Disorder while in PLDC school? According to his VA dr's, this is the beginning stages of PTSD"

With proof of

that documentation in his SMRs now I believe you would not even need to write to JSRRC.

I am assuming you mean by PLDC, Primary Leadership Development Course, as part of his NCO training?

This would also indicate to me he had a stressor documented in service that preceded the 'attack' as it first appeared to me that you were refering to a war game as part of NCO training- so I apologise for my error-

and now I am even more concerned that VA questioned his stressor while he was in PLDC

Which prompted the inservice diagnosis of PTSD.

Can you scan and post this letter here (as an attachment?) Cover all of his personal identifying information)

"We received a letter for VA saying that the evidence does not show that he meets all of the qualifications requirements and we need to submit new evidence."

I have never seen the phrase "qualificiation requirements" before used by the VA for a combat veteran and I assume this is a VCAA letter?

Do you have documented proof of that?

After coming home from Iraq early 2005, he didn't demobbed with the rest of his troop. He was sent to PLDC school. He was not released from active duty at that time. He demobbed after he was excused from school. While in school he was observed by the instructor as withdrawn and would not participate in class when called on. He saw a chaplain and a doctor. We have a document from Madigan Army Medical Center stating he is excused from the school due to Post Deployment Adjustment Problems and Acute Stress Disorder. He has been on meds ever since.

"He was excused from the school due to Post Deployment Adjustment Problems and Acute Stress Disorder."

What type of Discharge from the Military did he get?

My husband was medically discharged in 2009 for his knees. He already was SC'd for knees 20% since 2007. He has honorable discharge from Active Duty Navy 1991. Then joined National Guard 1992

"He hasn't been denied just yet. We received a letter for VA saying that the evidence does not show that he meets all of the qualifications requirements and we need to submit new evidence"

Did the VA question his Time in Service or his Discharge?

I don't believe they are questioning his time in service.

As to the stressor:

It looks as though your husband does not fall under the new PTSD criteria which is here:

and he will need to prove the stressor.

I suggest you read my post here:

This is one of many posts here regarding Buddy Statements:

You stated:

"The stressor was a planned attack on his camp." This happened in NCO school?

The stressor happened in Kuwait end of 2004. There was INTEL that his camp was a target and going to be hit by insurgents. When I read the article, it stated Al Quada as the insurgents and they were planning on a major attack all across Kuwait. Since this happened the end of 2004 and he was seen by Madigan in early 2005, it makes sense to me that this "could be" the stressor. I am sure that my husband is hold more credible stressors inside. There are none he cares to share right now. Possibly with more therapy, he will be willing to open up and I get the start the long process all over again. Just trying and hoping to avoid that.

This sounds like a war game-common to all military training- and I certainly do not believe it would be be considered a stressor by the VA.