VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssd-Didn't Qualify Because Of Age?

Rate this question

scscrewed

Question

When I was first injured I applied for SSD, but I was told I didn't qualify because of my age --19 at the time. I have the letter from the social security office stating this, and I believe this isn't true. It told me to apply for MRDD services, which I did, and I received help from them, but I want to apply for SSD.

Are the work credits that I am required to have based off the age at the time of disabling injury --19-- or based off my age now?

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I have enough work credits. I needed 6, if the age is 19. I worked from 13 on earning an appreciable amount of money, and I paid into the social security from then on. I am not worried about the credit part, if it is based on that age, but if it is based off of my age now, then I am what's the word.... blink.gif

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't know what MRDD services are?? Probably some state's rehabilitative disability determination services. I don't see why you wouldn't be eligible, tho. There may be some kind off offset but you should still be eligible. SSDI is basically disability insurance that "we pay for" and therefore when we qualify should be eligible. If there is an offset we should have our premiums refunded but we'll never see that happen. jmo

pr

I have the letter stating I am not eligible because I am eligible for MRDD services.