Ssd-Didn't Qualify Because Of Age?

scscrewed

Question

When I was first injured I applied for SSD, but I was told I didn't qualify because of my age --19 at the time. I have the letter from the social security office stating this, and I believe this isn't true. It told me to apply for MRDD services, which I did, and I received help from them, but I want to apply for SSD.

Are the work credits that I am required to have based off the age at the time of disabling injury --19-- or based off my age now?

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Are the work credits that I am required to have based off the age at the time of disabling injury --19-- or based off my age now?

Are there accumulated work credits that fall between the age of 19 and your current age ?

If yes - what was the last month and year of earned wages ?

I was paralyzed August 03, 2003, but stayed in the military until stabled and MEB, which was April 2004, and April 2004 was the last month of income I had. So, I was 20 by a month. But, once I was discharged from the military I have never had another job or filed taxes or done anything of the sort, except for awhile I drove my family nuts at the farm stand, but they don't pay you for that biggrin.gif

Edited by scscrewed

• HadIt.com Elder

You were eligible but would have collected against your father's SS benefit rate at the time. Until age 22yrs a claimant collects against the father's benefit. Sound's like they made an error. Whether you could win is another matter. If it were me I'd certainly try. Generally decisions become final w/SS after 4yrs. This sounds like a CUE, if SS has such a thing and if so should be appealable. jmo

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

To get SSD you need a certain number of quarters worked where you paid SSA out of your check. This may be the problem, but I would see the SSD lawyer to make sure. SSA will tell you anything to get rid of you. If not eligible for SSD/Medicare would you be eligible for medicade?

John

• HadIt.com Elder

john - Anyone under the age of 22yo, not meeting the number of required quarters, receives benefits against their father's SS account. I should have clarified that in my previous post. Thanks for mentioning the quarters requirement, thereby reminding me.

pr

To get SSD you need a certain number of quarters worked where you paid SSA out of your check. This may be the problem, but I would see the SSD lawyer to make sure. SSA will tell you anything to get rid of you. If not eligible for SSD/Medicare would you be eligible for medicade?

John