VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cautious Optimism Re: Sbp/dic Offset?

jvretiredvet

Question

The 2012 Defense Authorization Act (HR 1540) passed the House way earlier this year.

The Senate version, with amendments, passed on December 1. One amendment struck down the offset between Dependents Indemnity Compensation (DIC) and Survivors Benefit Plan (SBP) payments .

The bill was returned to the House for reconciliation between the two versions. Reconciliation was completed yesterday.

Without my commenting on some disturbing aspects of the 2012 Defense Bill, the bill is going to President Obama. Recent indications are that the Administration will not veto the bill.

Here is a link to the text of HR 1540, Title VI Subtitle C Section 635 : http://thomas.loc.go...Zs5I2x:e362412:

So, while I am not trying to start rumors .... is this the end of the offset?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

I doubt the offset has been repealed.

http://www.goldstarwives.org/news-benefits.htm

Nothing new there and, as member of GSW, I am sure to get emails of anything new on the SBP/DIC offset and will let you know.

I looked it up and the Reconciliation was passed in the House on the 14 but

Latest Major Action: 12/14/2011 Conference report agreed to in House. Status: On agreeing to the conference report Agreed to by recorded vote: 283 - 136 (Roll no. 932).

Latest Action: 12/14/2011 Conference papers: Senate report and manager's statement and message on House action held at the desk in Senate.

The 2012 Defense Authorization Act (HR 1540) passed the House way earlier this year.

The Senate version, with amendments, passed on December 1. One amendment struck down the offset between Dependents Indemnity Compensation (DIC) and Survivors Benefit Plan (SBP) payments .

The bill was returned to the House for reconciliation between the two versions. Reconciliation was completed yesterday.

Without my commenting on some disturbing aspects of the 2012 Defense Bill, the bill is going to President Obama. Recent indications are that the Administration will not veto the bill.

Here is a link to the text of HR 1540, Title VI Subtitle C Section 635 : http://thomas.loc.go...Zs5I2x:e362412:

So, while I am not trying to start rumors .... is this the end of the offset?

I posted the Gold Star Wives email update I got on this, in claims research this AM.