VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ibs And Diverticulitis

Rate this question

bergin c/o

Question

i am a gulf war veteran and recently had a foot of colon remove do to diverticulitis, my question is i had filled a claim for ibs that was denied do to lake of evidence . i had a hard time with my doctors once i told them i had filled a claim with the va . it changed from ibs to you know that most of america has stomach issues we can`t support the claim. anyway .haveing the diverticulitis does that give me enough to reopen the claim

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Bergin, go over to the IMO section of this forum and read some of the topics. a few very expensive very good doctors are talked about in particular Dr. Bash. He will cost a fortune, but if your disabilities are service connected he will tie them together and write an IMO that ties the things together in a tight and neat package.

Berta and several others have posted about him and utilized his services. I believe his opinion would be considered new evidence and enough to open the claim back open, especially if he ties the IBS>diverticulities and other issues you are having together.

Edited by scscrewed

you are a gulf war vet. if you served in SW asia and you have a diagnosis of ibs then it is service connected. That's the law.

If you have a diagnosis of divierticulitis then you will need an IMO linking the current condition to service.

I have seen a lot of them denied do to the lack of evidence of it starting in service, but that is an error in the rating. You IBS does not have to start in the service it is a presumptive illness that you only have to have for 6 months or more and must start before 31 Dec. 2011. There are many claims out there where this error was made. They also did not take the statement of the veteran as to how his symptoms are as per the regulations and court case see Gutierrez v. Principi 2004.

Also the law was updated to FGID you can read about what it is at

http://www.med.unc.edu/ibs/patient-education/what-are-fgimds

i am a gulf war veteran and recently had a foot of colon remove do to diverticulitis, my question is i had filled a claim for ibs that was denied do to lake of evidence . i had a hard time with my doctors once i told them i had filled a claim with the va . it changed from ibs to you know that most of america has stomach issues we can`t support the claim. anyway .haveing the diverticulitis does that give me enough to reopen the claim

Talked to my service rep. he said i need a more likely than not saying that the diveticulitis was caused by being in the gulf war .just having symptoms is not enough .even though the ibs is a presumptive i need a letter saying it was a result of the gulf war .i have not found a doctor willing to do that .still working on it .