VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question

Rate this question

Moody

Question

I hope this is in the right place I am rated for PTSD and DDD but the pian form my back is so bad it makes me feel like I can't do anything and depressed should I claim depression as a secondary condition or will the va not rate it as I am already rated for PTSD. I really don't know how all that works so any help would be appropriated. Thanks.

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Your depression and PTSD will be lumped together, but you could ask for an increase due to co-morbidity making your overall condition worse. Physical and mental disorders tend to make each other worse. If you are in a lot of pain you may not be able to get out and do things to help your mental isolation. I know about this.

Depression can be secondary to other conditions, provided the doc gives an opinion of the same.

However, the VA wont rate you for PTSD AND depression even tho you can have both at the same time. The VA will rate the more severe of depression or PTSD, but you wont be rated for 2 seperate mental disorders. The VA lumps all mental disorders together, such as depression, Bipolar, PTSD schizophrenia etc, and then rates you on the symptoms See the rating criteria for mental disorders and determine if you think you qualify fo If your depression adds to your symptoms, you may be eligible for a higher rating, that is, an increase. http://www.benefits.va.gov/warms/bookc.asp#q scroll down to 4.125 schedule for rating mental disorders.

This being said, have you sought an increase, assuming the (mental disorder) has worsened?

I have put in request for and increase for th ptsd and I just put in a new claim for the DDD I am still waiting to see what they say. That was back in feb but my conditions have gotten worse and I haven't even gotten a decision back yet.

PTSD has many, many intricate aspects of other stand-alone mental illnesses woven within it. PTSD is an anxiety disorder, but depression is also a fundamental part of PTSD for many individuals, and it is difficult to tease out whether the depression is caused by the pain from DDD or from the pain generated from the PTSD.

I understand that you can physically point out the pain and it's existence and therefore state it's from your back. But, depression is woven in PTSD and it your depressed your symptoms are rated. I don't think the VA will try and say your depression is not service connected, but just rate you for the symptoms under the PTSD.

• HadIt.com Elder

In the first few years after Vietnam the VA often DX'ed those with severe PTSD as having schizophrenia because they did not have a clue. Just about everyone with DDD in the spine has depression because they can't do what they used to.