VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Active Duty Medical Records Search

Rate this question

CCC

Question

Hey guys, me again. :)

I am hitting a brick wall here, trying to find Hubs' medical records. I am finding everything from the onset of TDRL, but nothing while he was active duty, and that's 17 years worth of records.

Everyone I speak to says "Call these guys - THEY should have it." Yet no one has it. I read online that the records all merged with the VA for "one stop shopping" but the VA says they have nothing but VA records. They sent me to the National Archives center in St. Louis, but it clearly stated on the website "This isn't for active duty medical records - this is for VA records."

Where would I find his active duty medical records?

Thanks. :)

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

CCC

We gotta quit meeting like this. Since your husband is already SC'd for some things the VA will have his medical records, you need to go to FOIA office at the VAMC he uses and request a copy. I would also request a copy of his entire C-file.

However, You can go to this link and fill out the SF-180 and fax it to St. Louis and request all of his medical records. They do have them. It will take at least 6 to 7 months for both of them. I did this and got medical records that the VA does not have. I think when you file a claim they may request just the medical records that pertain to the issues that are being filed for.

Here is the link. http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/standard-form-180.html

Oh! by the way if he was in the hospital while on active duty make sure request all of those records as well. If the people in ST. Louis tell you they don't have them you can contact the hospital and ask for them.

CCC

We gotta quit meeting like this. Since your husband is already SC'd for some things the VA will have his medical records, you need to go to FOIA office at the VAMC he uses and request a copy. I would also request a copy of his entire C-file.

However, You can go to this link and fill out the SF-180 and fax it to St. Louis and request all of his medical records. They do have them. It will take at least 6 to 7 months for both of them. I did this and got medical records that the VA does not have. I think when you file a claim they may request just the medical records that pertain to the issues that are being filed for.

Here is the link. http://www.archives....d-form-180.html

Oh! by the way if he was in the hospital while on active duty make sure request all of those records as well. If the people in ST. Louis tell you they don't have them you can contact the hospital and ask for them.

So they have his active duty records, too? Not just from the VA? Because I was given 14 different stories today and it's so frustrating. "Yes the VA has them," or "No the VA doesn't have them, call so and so," and then "NO we don't have them. Call the VA!"

ARGH. I will print out and fax that form - thanks, hon. i just could have sworn that i saw today that the St Louis office said they have only VA and nothing active duty. i swear i think they throw everything away and then treat people like rats in a maze, with no cheese at the end.

I think the problem your having is what you are calling active duty records. When you ask for active duty records, that tells that person your husband is still in the service on active duty, which he is not. NPRC has all his Service records(records created when he was on active duty).When people are still in the military, those records are usually kept by each individual service(ie.Army=army, navy=navy) until the person is out of the service for a certain number of years and then are sent to NPRC for permanet keeping. So just ask for them by category like adminstrative, Medical,and mental records and I think they will know what you want. The confusion lies in the terminology Active Duty Records.I hope I have cleared that up for you.Mike