Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

80% To Iu

Rate this question

11cvolley

Question

On e-benefits my claim for IU has finally went to the under review which is after the claim received statues. How long does a claim for IU take?

I'm still trying to get better and been really tempted to try the temp services again for work, but I been told that one day of work would mess up my IU claim and that I need to stop and think about if it is worth trying to work at a temp service and passing on IU.

After thinking about it I feel that IU is my best course of action. What would you guys and gals do? Work when you can or go for IU? My last job was over a year ago and couldn't get myself to walk through the doors to work.

• Answers 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hi volley,

It sounds like you had a good c & p, cause if they're saying anything about your service impacting you, it's good. I wouldn't worry about the specific diagnosis right now. I see my diagnoses change in my medical records all the time - like my chondromalecia patella turned into arthralgia all by itself.

With mental health I'm betting the treatment plan will be talk therapy (where the therapist will get to know what's what as long as you're honest as you can be) and psychiatric treatment, meaning medications. Don't worry, your treating psychiatrist will read your records but will make their own diagnosis before prescribing medication. They won't just look at your C & P and say "Oh, schizophrenia. This calls for purple pills with little yellow dots on them!".

I understand what you're going through. I HATE not knowing what's going on, what's going to happen. And I always fear the worst is the only possible outcome.

It took me a while, but I (and my spouse too) got lucky and finally got paired up with a great VA social-worker therapist and psychiatrist who work very closely together - they actually read each other's progress notes before our appointments. So psychiatrist knows from therapist how we're doing week by week, and then therapist knows from psychiatrist what changes have been made to our medications, etc.

Try not to over-think all of this, even though it's impossible to think about anything else.

Also, as to the temp work, it's not worth the risk. What if you find you can't make it through the day? I'm not trying to be a negative nelly, but why add the stress to you life if you can get by without it?

Just breathe. Now breathe again. Again. Keep going, just keep breathing.

We're rooting for you!!

Hi volley,

It sounds like you had a good c & p, cause if they're saying anything about your service impacting you, it's good. I wouldn't worry about the specific diagnosis right now. I see my diagnoses change in my medical records all the time - like my chondromalecia patella turned into arthralgia all by itself.

With mental health I'm betting the treatment plan will be talk therapy (where the therapist will get to know what's what as long as you're honest as you can be) and psychiatric treatment, meaning medications. Don't worry, your treating psychiatrist will read your records but will make their own diagnosis before prescribing medication. They won't just look at your C & P and say "Oh, schizophrenia. This calls for purple pills with little yellow dots on them!".

I understand what you're going through. I HATE not knowing what's going on, what's going to happen. And I always fear the worst is the only possible outcome.

It took me a while, but I (and my spouse too) got lucky and finally got paired up with a great VA social-worker therapist and psychiatrist who work very closely together - they actually read each other's progress notes before our appointments. So psychiatrist knows from therapist how we're doing week by week, and then therapist knows from psychiatrist what changes have been made to our medications, etc.

Try not to over-think all of this, even though it's impossible to think about anything else.

Also, as to the temp work, it's not worth the risk. What if you find you can't make it through the day? I'm not trying to be a negative nelly, but why add the stress to you life if you can get by without it?

Just breathe. Now breathe again. Again. Keep going, just keep breathing.

We're rooting for you!!

Thank you. My biggest fear was getting some new medication and being like one of those guys off of batman begins where the dude sprayed the chemical in batman's face and he started seeing all kinds of crazy stuff.

Also, as to the temp work, it's not worth the risk. What if you find you can't make it through the day?

This is what I kept telling my father-in-law. Why risk roughly 1,400 a month from the VA for a 1,100 a month job that might not last because of my issues. Not to mention the cost for daycare, tax, gas, ect. If I get 100% I would need at lease a 2,200 a month job to cover what I would lose from 100% to 80%. Then my student loans will pop back up with added interest. Like I told him, "Do I want to work? Yes; however, I can't work for less than what the VA will be providing." I have a wife and child to think about and not my need to get out of the house and work on and off.