Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Initial Claim (Big Brown Envelope)

Rate this topic

CShock

First let me say thanks to all who have come to my aid and answered any questions over the last 10 months, in my time of confusion and frustration.

AND now for the good stuff.

I am currently rated at 60% with 1 contention being defered, 1 contention requiring additional information and two contentions denied. I took advantage of the BDD (filed 6 months before) and my ED is 1 Mar 11, here is the breakdown:

Strain right shoulder - 20%

Degenerative joint disease, cervical spine - 20%

Degenerative joint disease, right knee - 10%

Right wrist - 10%

Left knee painful motion - 10%

Tinnitus - 10%

Hypertension 10%

Gout - 0%

Strain left knee, limited flexion - 0%

Bi-lateral hearing loss - 0%

Shin splints - denied

Cellulitus - denied

Earlier this week the local VAMC called and fit me in for an appointment for the contention which was defered. I have 5 scars on my right knee, 14 inches long and Ithink they will fall under 7804. My last contention is sleep apnea. I previously sent in my information when I received my VCAA asking if I wanted to send in additional information. I had sent three IRIS request because my SA was not indicated as part of my claim and then around the beginning of Dec, I received a reply stating that my SA was part of the claim. No worries I will resend my report, SMR with SA mentioned and my receipt for the CPAP equipment. This seems like a no-brainer but this website has taught me to expect the unexpected. Needless to say I'm thrilled about the intial rating and the thought of receiving a higher rating due to the aforementioned contentions is somewhat surreal.

Finally my dependency status is incorrect, even though I had also previously provided this information, but again from reading the various post on this site, I'm not totally surprised it happend.

Two quick questions, ebene, states that I need to submit information regarding my sleep apnea claim; will I receive another VCAA with this information or should I just resend my supporting documentation with a letter explaining why I'm sending the information. My gut tells me that I should receive another VCAA or some sort of form exist which I must complete which will accompany my supporting documentation. Secondly I moved from the state where I made my initial claim, should I enlist the help of the local VSO prior to submitting the aforementioned information to insure the proverbial "i's" and "t's" are dotted and crossed?

Thanks again to all and I hope to have more good news regarding my rating

Shock

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations. You may or may not get another VCAA (you're dealing with the VA) so resubmit the info you mentioned to make sure they have it. Good luck on the rest of your claim.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use