Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

11b

Rate this question

john999

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

If during my tour in Vietnam I was assigned a job with an 11b1Y MOS for a period of 3 months would that qualifiy me for a combat infantry badge?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Here's what I found. Hope it helps.

History

The CIB and EIB were established by Section I, War Department Circular 209, dated October 27, 1943:

The present war has demonstrated the importance of highly proficient, tough, hard and aggressive infantry, which can be obtained only by developing a high degree of individual all-around proficiency on the part of every infantryman. As a means of attaining the high standards desired and to foster esprit de corps in infantry units; the Expert Infantryman and the Combat Infantryman badges are established for infantry personnel.

This circular also stated that, "only one of these badges will be worn at one time" and that "the Combat Infantryman badge is the highest award."

Award of the CIB was officially authorized by an executive order dated November 15, 1943.

By act of Congress approved on June 10, 1944, all soldiers, except officers, awarded the CIB were entitled to an additional $10 per month.

Army regulations issued during World War II never prescribed a specific period of time an Infantryman had to serve in combat to be eligible for the CIB.

In 1947, a policy was implemented that authorized the retroactive award of the Bronze Star Medal to soldiers who had received the Combat Infantryman Badge during World War II. The basis for doing this was that the CIB was awarded only to soldiers who had borne combat duties befitting the Bronze Star Medal and also that both awards required a recommendation by the commander and a citation in orders.

According to a personal memoir on the web, work to establish the CIB was initiated by General Marshall, who had been prompted by Medal of Honor recipient Major Charles W. Davis' observation to him that "it would be wonderful if someone could design a badge for every infantryman who faces the enemy every day and every night with so little recognition."* [1]

Specific eligibility requirements

(1) A soldier must be an Army infantry or special forces officer (SSI 11 or 18) in the grade of colonel or below, or an Army enlisted soldier or warrant officer with an infantry or special forces MOS, who subsequent to 6 December 1941 has satisfactorily performed duty while assigned or attached as a member of an infantry, ranger or special forces unit of brigade, regimental, or smaller size during any period such unit was engaged in active ground combat. Eligibility for special forces personnel (less the special forces medical sergeant) accrues from 20 December 1989. Retroactive awards for special forces personnel are not authorized.

(2) A recipient must be personally present and under hostile fire while serving in an assigned infantry or special forces primary duty, in a unit actively engaged in ground combat with the enemy. The unit in question can be of any size smaller than brigade. For example, personnel possessing an infantry MOS in a rifle squad of a cavalry platoon in a cavalry troop would be eligible for award of the CIB. Battle or campaign participation credit alone is not sufficient; the unit must have been in active ground combat with the enemy during the period.

(3) Personnel with other than an infantry or special forces MOS are not eligible, regardless of the circumstances. The infantry or special forces SSI or MOS does not necessarily have to be the soldier's primary specialty, as long as the soldier has been properly trained in infantry or special forces tactics, possesses the appropriate skill code, and is serving in that specialty when engaged in active ground combat as described above. Commanders are not authorized to make any exceptions to this policy.

(4) Awards will not be made to general officers nor to members of headquarters companies of units larger in size than brigade.

Guest rickb54

John

You are only authorized to wear a CIB if you held mos 11B, or 11C. Working outside your mos as an infantryman does not count. You must also have been awarded it for service under fire.

• HadIt.com Elder

Rick

I was assigned the 11b MOS for three months in Vietnam. It is in my personnel file. It is not that big of deal but I was also entitiled to a civic action award and I did not get that award either. It is all water under the bridge now but I like to get the records straight. I knew guys who went on one patrol or ambush and they got a combat award. I don't believe they fired a shot in anger. I did ask for a records correction. Let's see what happens. All they can say is NO.

Good for you John-

a vet should never hesitate to question their DD 214.

All they have to do is file out and mail the attached DD 149 form.

The results can often be surprising.

dd0149.pdf