VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Any Increase In Speed Of Claims Going Through The System?

Rate this question

retiredat44

Question

Any increase in speed of claims going through the system? It seemed last year nothing was moving..

is there some math being kept soemwhere showing if the claims are moving faster, or the same?

thanx.

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

My understanding is that they were making a point to moving a lot of AO claims last year due to the new presumptives and of course I believe the OIF/OEF priority is still around. I think they are moving a lot of claims but I think appeals are moving a lot slower.

Best regards,

Hello 71 and Retired,,,,,, At present the VA is playing funny numbers with several organizations. What I would point out is that the backlog is increasing and for the simple reason that the decision making process that results in a claim being granted and that pretty much would end that phase of completion of the claim. Unless the rating scheduler was not rated high enough and then an appeal for a higher rating would have to be given.....End result more time. I would also point out that because of the ineptness of the claims process as a whole cannot keep up with the number of filings of claims and the proper decision of a higher rating on a claim.

The VA has a very proven track record of lowballing vertually all claims at the Regional Office level. Since the BVA spots or is suppose to catch these problems , the inevitable REMAND is ordered . Now we see that the claim is automatically delayed again and cannot be closed with no further action needed.

Yes your right , the new AO presumptives are suppose to help the Veteran but with many Vets outside of Vietnam having to wait. The OEF/OIF veterans and AO Vets are suppose to be given priority from Regional Offices. This is probably true , however it still cannot make the process speed up because of the Regional Office refuseals to adjudicate at that level. Almost all Veterans are hung up with this problem. Me included.

So it is impossible for the claims process to ever ,,,,EVER catch up with the number of claims that are coming in. It would take a huge time period of no wars or involvement in any parts of the world and thats just not on the future time scale anytime soon.

The claims backlog was listed at over 1,000,000 in 2009. It then continued to 1.2 million the end of 2010 and is higher now. This includes appeals and I am positive that the continued formula of processing will push it to 1.5 million by the end of this year or beginning of 2013 if one simply does the math and figures in the plotting of claims from 2007 which was according to Sec Jim Nicholson at HVAC committee testimony was 750,000 claims.

My NOVA attorney has told me just last month, that the Houston Regional Office has started working on Appeals from 2009 . That does make sense and fits the amount of new claims filed with number of claims backlogged and decided and even those in the appeals process. And of course every Vets favorite part of the VA ,,,,,,,,,,,the AMC.

Just how long will the decision making process start to move the claims and the appeal process in a downward trend and actually show a decrease in the overall backlog is really not possible because no CHANGE in the process has occured in 8-10 years. And there is no change forseen in the process itself. Sorry for not being more positive on this but the record speaks for itself. This is just part of being a Veteran with a claim filed. Above all though to succeed at any part of the process the Veteran must remember to NEVER GIVE UP. God Bless, C.C.

Edited by Capt.Contaminate

I agree with "the Captain". The speed of claims is slowing down, not speeding up. The increase in backlog, such as the monday morning reports shows this conclusively. The number of claims over 125 days is also increasing, at an alarming rate.

At this rate, we should apply for benefits for our school age kids and maybe when they get out of the military 15 or 20 years later, they can get their benefits.

• HadIt.com Elder

I believe I read here at Hadit that the VARO has a 60% error rate at the BVA. That results in remands. The RO sends 300,000 appeals to the BVA and over half come back as remands. In the meantime another 300,000 claims have arrived at the RO. We are going backwards.

I agree that the system is dysfunctional and that overall(appeals included) we are as an aggregate getting farther behind.

I also think the data from the monday morning reports indicate initial claims are moving faster. I think that is due to the AO presumptives (simple claims). I think quality has gotten worse, not better and appeals have slowed to a crawl.

Until it becomes more expensive for the government when claims are delayed or wrong they will have no incentive to do it right or in a timely manner.

Best regards,

• HadIt.com Elder

If the VA delays paying a claim for 30 years they pay no interest. Why rush? If your claim lingers between the VARO, BVA and the CAVC for ten years and you finally win.....no interest. Nobody loses their job and nobody gets demoted. It is sort of like being on death row. After stealing your life from you they decide you are innocent and just open up the cell door. You have to beg to get compensation sort of like us.