Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Va Doctor Refused To Fill Out Physical Capacity Function Report For Ssdi

Rate this question

sleeper692

Question

My medical doctor refused to fill out my physical capacity function report that my lawyer requested for SSDI.

Don't VA doctors have a duty to assist in these matters? I remember reading once upon a time that they are *required* to assist veteran's by filling out these forms for other agencies, particularly Social Security.

Can someone cite the regulation for me or tell me I'm wrong? My shrink didn't seem to have any problem filling it out but my PCP is being a....well, I'll leave the expletives out. Even more frustrating is that this is not the first issue she has refused to help me with that was not directly connected to the VA.

Thanks in advance,

Pete

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Go to vamc social worker and explain your situation to them, and they should be able to get it filled out by your pcp. This is the way i had to get mine done. Please get this form signed as soon as possible as you will never get your claim approved without it,without going to consultive exam set up by the ssa, and when you get it and it's favorable to your claim send it YOURSELF to social security.I did this and won my claim on reconsideration in 10 months, without an attorney. GOOD LUCK.

http://www.nosscr.org/pdfs/VHA-Directive-2008-071.pdf

(2) All medical forms completed on behalf of the veteran require that the individual sign VA Form 10-5345a, Individuals Request for a Copy of Their Own Health Information, and local procedures must be followed for obtaining this authorization. Examples of these non-VA forms include, but are not limited to:

(a) Family Medical Leave Act forms.

(b) Life insurance application forms.

© Non-VA disability retirement forms.

(d) State workers’ compensation forms.

(e) State driver’s license or handicap parking forms.

(f) Social Security Administration (SSA) examination forms.

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." Jimmy V

Excellent advise. Thank you to both of you. I will contact my VA social worker first thing Monday morning armed with the VA directive.

I filled out the proper ROI forms so I know that is not the issue. I just think this particular doctor is unwilling to help. I'm not sure how favorable she'll be when she fills out the report after having it rammed down her throat but that's not my concern. I'm about ready to ask for a new PCP anyway as this doc really hasn't been very helpful with my medical care as it is.

Thanks again. I don't know what I would do without all the good folks on this board!!!

Pete

I have requested an RFC from my social worker using VA Directive 2008-071, as social workers can be thrid party sources according to SSA. She is willing to fill it out, but need an OK from her director, who is not responding her emails regarding this matter. She is going to try to get an answer one more time, and then Patient Advocate time (her advice, not mine...LOL)

"It is a terrible thing, when you lose your train of thought and you only have a one track mind"... Me

96C2P/96F2P (old MOS designations)

97E2P/37F2P (new MOS designations)

Well, I contacted my social worker as recommended and she looked into the situation. She called me back yesterday and fed me a line of crap that left me astounded.

She said she spoke with my doctor as well as the folks at physical rehab and they both said that they "aren't trained" to fill out a residual function capacity form. So I asked how could a medical doctor who has been treating me for the past three years, with whom I just had a full workup with at the end of December, not be able to fill out a straightforward form regarding my functional capacity? She seems to be comfortable prescribing medications based on a simple written message complaining of whatever but she can't fill out a simple form to give me a hand. What's the friggin' difference?

Her response was that the doctors are here to treat and not do examinations to fill out forms. Even after I reminded her of the VA directive which specifically includes Social Security forms and the doctors duty to assist, she said she couldn't do anything more and told me to contact the patient advocate if I wished to pursue it further.

Today I noticed that my status on the SS site went from "no decision has yet been made on your claim" to " We Cannot Process Your Request At This Time." The last time it changed like that, I got a denial letter in the mail a couple of days later.

So now I'm really pissed. I gave this form to my doctor almost two months ago. That would have been plenty of time for her to fill it out and get it back to my attorney to be submitted to SS before they reviewed my case for consideration. Now I'm guessing I've been denied yet again tho I hope its just that the SS system is down for maintenance.

I'll be calling for an appointment with the patient advocate first thing Monday morning.

Can anyone tell me how I go about requesting a different PCP? I'm done with this one.