Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hypertentsive Vasular Disease

Rate this question

oldranger821

Question

When I retired from the military back in 1984 I was already on meds for HBP. On my exit claim I was SC for Hypertentsive Vasular Disease (7101) at 0%. Is this the same as HBP? Have been on meds since and see the doc every 4 months for all of my ailments including The HBP. The HBP is controlled with meds. How hard would it be to get an increase. They sent me a questionaire to fill out before my C&P for my spine last year and I listed EVERYTHING on that and the meds I take for each one. Does your BP have to be high all the time to get an increase. I have a claim working now so this is for the second round. Just doing research.smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

Edited by oldranger821

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

In order to get 10 percent the regs state the systolic has to be 160 and the diasatolic has to be 100.

The key word is predominant so that means not all r4eadings need to be that but the majority of them need to be that or higher.

There are other avenues to consider. HTN is another door that leads to several other issues like heart disease, Kidney problems,

Secondary conditions do arise from t his dreaded disease.

Basser

• HadIt.com Elder

Oldranger

Have you ever had a CT scan of your legs. This can often show early signs of vascular artery disease. There are a group of conditions that lead to bad results. HBP is one of them along with PAD, DMII, smoking, sleep apnea, and being over weight.

If you go to the VA and complain about pain in your legs while walking and that the pain goes away when you stop they should do a work up on you. You may be surprised what they find. I had a lump on my shin and the VA doctor sent me for a CT scan. They found some arteriorsclerosis in my legs. If you have it in your legs you probably have it in your heart and brain as well. They also checked my circulation in my legs which was OK. I already had DMII so I got the artery disease as secondary to DMII. Since you are SC for HBP that gives you an opening to get other things connected.

John

Thanks. My BP goes up when I see the doctors. It's called white coat syndrome. Meds keep it a the 130/85 area, but at times it goes higher. Sometimes 150/95 even with the meds. I have an Agent Orange claim working right now for the IHD and DMII. Been in the mill since last Jun 2011. I am a boots on the ground Nam vet. I am followed by my PCM at the AF hospital here at EglinAFB, Fl.

Edited by oldranger821

• HadIt.com Elder

Good thing about that is they used to combine the heart disease ratings and HTN now they have th pay them separately.

Usually AO related IHD claims go quickly since Nehmer is involved.

J

The problem is that on that claim for the IHD and DMII is a claim for a increase for my back and hearing and a new one for tinnitus. On my initial foray to the DAV to start my claim the only rep there was a guy that is 87 years old. He put them all on one claim instead of sending the DMII and the IHD to fast track. I seen my present rep the next time and she got me straight. I wish I had started the claim earlier but as it stands my effective date should go back to 1 OCT 2010 for the IHD. DM will go back to Jun 2011 when I first filed.