Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hearing Loss And Tinnitus Claim.

Rate this question

Gomatic

Question

2 questions.

1, My MOS is obsolete, will the VA use a modern equivalent based on my job title. I was a 63Y 10 tracked vehicle mechanic.

2. The Army did not do a hearinfg exam on my exit physical, will this give me a problem?

Thanks

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Gomatic,

The answers to your questions depends on a few things.

How long after discharge did you put in your claim (within a year or many years later)?

Did you ever report tinnitus while in service?

Yes, they can consider your job title rather than focus on the MOS, as many MOS's, and ASFC's have changed over the years.

Did you have more than one hearing exam in service and f so,was there a shift in hearing?

Hearing loss must be pretty bad to be granted a 0% and extremely severe to warrant a percentage of 10% or higher.

They will also consider your civilian employment since the militaary and recreational acitvities if you didnt have hearing loss in service. If any of those can cause hearing loss, well, you can figure out what the results of the decision may be.

Gomatic

I could not find 63Y but I found 63H which is tracked vehicle repairer and is now a 91H. It is on the list of MOS's that can have a high probability of hearing loss. Have you filed a claim yet for tinnitus and hearing loss? You need to research 4.85 and 4.86 I am attaching a training letter from the VA on hearing loss for you to read that has both of those paragraphs in it.

Well I can't attach it, must be to large. I know that if you do a search on this site of hearing loss you will find it because I have posted it before along with some other links for hearing loss.

Gomatic,

The answers to your questions depends on a few things.

How long after discharge did you put in your claim (within a year or many years later)?

Did you ever report tinnitus while in service?

Yes, they can consider your job title rather than focus on the MOS, as many MOS's, and ASFC's have changed over the years.

Did you have more than one hearing exam in service and f so,was there a shift in hearing?

Hearing loss must be pretty bad to be granted a 0% and extremely severe to warrant a percentage of 10% or higher.

They will also consider your civilian employment since the militaary and recreational acitvities if you didnt have hearing loss in service. If any of those can cause hearing loss, well, you can figure out what the results of the decision may be.

28 years, 2 test swhile in service. I believe there was some shift in hearing. I've had the tinnitus so long I thought it was normal. I worked as a mechanic maybe a year while out of service. The greatest noise exposure was while I was in the ARMY. Sometimes in Germany we didn't even have hearing protection supplies available.

28 years is a lot of time the VA could use against you. JMO..I think you would be better off claiming an increase for your back issues, or even secondary claims such as;..Hip, knees, right foot issues due to your lower back. When were you granted these 2 claims? If the 2 exams for hearing were sever enough like donna said to grant an award, then go ahead and give it a try.

Coot