Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hearing Loss And Tinnitus Claim.

Rate this question

Gomatic

Question

2 questions.

1, My MOS is obsolete, will the VA use a modern equivalent based on my job title. I was a 63Y 10 tracked vehicle mechanic.

2. The Army did not do a hearinfg exam on my exit physical, will this give me a problem?

Thanks

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Gomamtic,

Based on these results, you have mild hearing loss based on VA regs in the left ear at 2000, 3000 and 4000 and in thr right ear at 3000 (40 or above or three at 26 or higher). So if it is granted you will get 0%. Now, you probably need a medical opinion that your hearing loss is related to military. Did the VA review your hearing tests from in service? Were any of your levels above 25 in service? Also, sometimes the pre and post delpoyment questionaires ask you if you have ringing in your ears, if you have copies, check them to see if you checked the box for ringing in your ears. Maybe the audiologist from 1978 and 2010 will write an opinion for you??

Left 500 25 db 1000 30 db 2000 40 db 3000 40 db 4000 45 db 100% descrimination

Right 500 25db 1000 25db 2000 35db 3000 40db 4000 35 db 100% descrimination

I was awarded service connection for tinnitus and hearing loss in 2005. That was 19 years after I retired from the Army. My active duty retirement exam showed high frequency hearing loss, the VA denied my claim in 1986 stating that for VA purposes I did not have a hearing loss. I continued filing claims for hearing loss and tinnitus off and on over the years.. they were all denied.

Finally, by 2005 I realized that I need a new hearing test and a medical opinion (nexus) connecting my hearing loss to my Military service. I was found to have high frequency hearing loss, and the doctor opined that based on my active duty hearing test my hearing loss was more likey than not a by product of my military service. She determined that based on the medical records, my time in the Infantry, and my years spent in computer rooms. I was awarded 0% for hearing loss, and 10% for tinnitus.

My point to the story is not to give up... if you know in your heart that a problem started on active duty disregard the nay sayers.... follow up and fight for what is right. Now quite honestly the 10% I received was not grounds for additional compenation but it was 10% that I was entitled too and that is all that I cared about.

I have also been awarded ratings for other issues based on direct service connection years after my retirement. In each case, I finally got wise and sought independant medical opinions, in all cases those opinions came from either Active duty Army doctors, or Civillian doctors working for the Army or the VA. In all cases, the ratings didn't really matter to me it was always the principle of the thing, and frankly the additional rating did not equate to more compensations since I have either been rated TDIU or 100% before I received the ratings. So again if you think you have a case keep on keeping on....

Edited by Teac

Gomatic

You have a 38.75 in your left ear and a 33.75 in your right ear. Now Donna is right as far as the hearing loss is concerned problem is you have a 100% speech discrimination score. Which means you understood and repeated every word they spoke to you. One of the problems with the VA is that with them you have to be under 94% to be considered to have a hearing loss. I would definitely get an IMO and another hearing test. But keep in mind that the hearing test needs to be by VA guidelines or they will not accept it. I can tell you have a high frequency hearing loss just by the scores. Also, just like a couple of others have said here don't give up on it. I was SC'd for hearing loss and tinnitus in 2003 which was 30 some years after I got back from VN, I am also retired from the Army and I never tried to get disability for my hearing while I was in because I was told that it would hurt my chances for promotion and being deployed. I was finally told by a doctor that I was non deployable because of it and also my eye sight. Now I don't know if my PULHES rating was a factor in being SC'd or not. DON'T GIVE UP PERIOD