Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Service Connection Granted

Rate this topic

admiral7

Not only can an inservice MOS with probable asbestos or highly probable exposure help (I posted the Navy MOS exposure list here some time ago) but I mean what the duties actually were- a DD 214 does not always reflect that specifically-

Also for one my local asbestos vets I found his ship had been sent to Iran to be used for parts.We sent this printout of info to VA in support of his claim.I think that many old Navy ships had so much asbestos in them that they had to be dumped on foreign countries.He was an EN too aboard ship.

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

There is a rare cancer that develops as a result of asbestosis called mesothelioma. Be watching for that diagnosis in your medical records and if it appears make sure the rating you get is accurate under the rating schedule. If your service connected condition makes you unemployable you will need to file a claim for unemployability.

• HadIt.com Elder

I have been reluctant to file a claim for ASBESTOS in the past.

I do not have a diagnoses for mesothelioma.

I served as a Boiler Tech & went through several overhauls at Longbeach, Mare Island, Hunterspoint, Valejo & the SanFrancisco dry dock.

My ship is on the list for Asbestos exposure.

Without a diagnoses, would it get tossed out with just having symptoms in records?.

COAD

bronchial chest spasms, chest pain when I breath

GERD

chronic nausea

hypertention

hypothyroid

elevated CK

elevated Lipids

elevated Cholesterol

elevated liver

Allan

• HadIt.com Elder

Allan - you don't want a diagnosis of mesothelioma. Generally, once diagnosed, it's 2-3 yrs until death and it's not fun to live with. There is no cure. You might want to check with a private physician to do an asbestos screening.

pr