VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssdi And Stock/investments

Rate this question

Raven

Question

I have been playing around buying and selling stocks on the internet a couple times a week - I do not think profits from this offset or impact SSDI or I may be wrong- anyone know anything about this? What about gambling winnings or rental income- any comments welcomed

Thanks

Raven

Edited by Raven

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Social Security is only concerned with earned income not money gained by lottery winnings, gambling, life insurance, sale of property, gains made in the stock market, or money loaned to you by Uncle Bill. Social Security does have a Ticket to Work program where you can earn up to $830.00 a month (give or take $10 here or there) without interferring with your SSDI. However, if you are 100% IU with the VA, my suggestion would be you should not be working, hence the title "Individual Unemployability." IU is not about how much you can earn, but rather can you engage in substantial gainful employment. If the VA feels you can work, then IU will be stopped. People will say there is a magic amount of money you can earn before the VA flags you. However, I have seen guys earn a $1,000 and get called in, and I have seen other earn $20,000 and never get called in. Although I would not risk earning $20,000 to find out if VA will or won't.

The key to either the VA and Social Security is W-2 or 1099 job related EARNED INCOME!!!! Any monies not W-2 or 1099 will not be considered as earned income.

Patrick

• HadIt.com Elder

That may be so, but he can't get SSDI, least wise not without committing perjury.

• HadIt.com Elder

The only thing SSA worries about is "earned income". Income from stocks is passive income and does not count. So you could, indeed, be a millionaire and retire because of disability and get SSDI.

• HadIt.com Elder

To get SSI (Supplemental Security Income) you may not have resources in excess of $2000, or $3000 if married.

To get SS disability then you may not make over $830 per month and has no limit on the amount of your resources.

So, in re-reading the thread I find that I am wrong, assuming that everyone was talking about SS disability payments.