Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cue For Graves Disease Hyperthyroidism-Hypothroidism

Rate this question

goldenchild7801

Question

I put in a claim for Graves disease (Hyperthyroidism) which my medical records clearly stated I had, but I was granted SC for (Hypothyroidism) at 10%. The symptoms/issues are totally opposite of each other so I dont see how i can get a rating of 10% and I know that my rating would be higher as per the rating schedule for hyperthyroidism.

***I did take a radioactive pill for treatment so now I am hypo and have to take synthroid***

I really wish I would have paid more attention and taken care of this before the appeal window closed.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Without seeing the code sheet (and seeing the precise Diagnostic Code that was used) for your Rating Decision, it's somewhat hazardous to guess at what happened.

However, this is what I suspect has happened ....

You are service connected for Grave's disease (hyperthyroid). After treatment with a radioiodide, you are now somewhat hypothyroid.

Because you are now hypothyroid, I am guessing that your 10% is given under the analogous DC of 7900-7903 because you require continuous medication. It is unlikely you'd receive even a 10% at this moment under DC 7900 alone.

However, if the Grave's rears its head again, the evaluation could possibly return to 7900 alone.

I put in a claim for Graves disease (Hyperthyroidism) which my medical records clearly stated I had, but I was granted SC for (Hypothyroidism) at 10%. The symptoms/issues are totally opposite of each other so I dont see how i can get a rating of 10% and I know that my rating would be higher as per the rating schedule for hyperthyroidism.

***I did take a radioactive pill for treatment so now I am hypo and have to take synthroid***

I really wish I would have paid more attention and taken care of this before the appeal window closed.