VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Military Records... What Can A Employer Get?

Rate this question

Leap

Question

I'm currently applying for a position within a Police Department... what military records will an agency/employer be able to receive?

My question is, will they be able to get full copies of my service record, medical records, etc... or just my DD Form 214 and whatever I provide to them.

I didn't know if there is a "by law" clause for Veterans on what potential employers can get from the military.

Thanks

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I believe anyone can get a copy of anyone's military records, under the FOIA but they will be somewhat redacted.

pr

Interesting...I certainly hope this is not true.

Interesting...I certainly hope this is not true.

Here's a link to a public information web site, where you can find

some info on VAMC doc's, RSVR's, DRO's, etc ...

I don't think something like this should be public knowledge either,

but it is.

(Any agency that falls under ICE, like Immigration - is not included.)

Federal Employees

http://php.app.com/fed_employees10/search.php

Thanks Everyone!

I received an Honorable Disacharge... BUT, my seperation code is HKK (Drug Use), my reentry code is 2C (don't even think about joining the military again - lol) and my narrative reason for seperation is MISCONDUCT (All in caps - lol).

Yep, I used drugs while on active duty, and was command directed to pee... but since I was a Outstanding Airman (10 years and All 5's on my EPRs), my Commander and by the Grace of God gave me a Honorable Discharge - I guess the "Good" outweighted the "Mistake" I made.

So, since I'm a honest person and there is no way around the coding on the 214, I've disclosed the isolated drug incident... I was a Cop in the Air Force and a Police Officer in Texas while on Active Duty... been out for 7 years and it's time to return to Law Enforcement - being a "Rent a Cop" Security Guard is ok, but not for the next 20 years... just thankful to currently have a Job and being able to "somewhat" function at work.

Once again, thank you fellow VETS!!!

Jason

I tried to see if I came up on that site and nothing showed up. I filled in all the blanks and still notta. It had my agency listed, which was Dept of Energy and also my job description as High voltage electrician but my job description was actually High voltage Lineman, either way it still should of popped up. Oh well, maybe they don't consider lineman as important enough to keep tabs on..lol

Coot

Leap

You better thank your stars (whatever that means) that you was honest enough to disclose the incident! It would of came back and bit you in the BUTT if they did by chance find out. One of my new co-workers was let go because of a MaryJane incident he never disclosed. If he would of admitted it in the first place, he would of been ok due to the incident happened a few years back. I'm assuming your incident was minor cause you ets'd with an Honorable discharge. Now on the other hand, if you were charged and pound rocks for a year or 2, then yes there could be problems. IMO, you shouldn't have any worries. You were honest and they like that. More power to you buddy.

Coot