Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Service Connection And Your Va Copays/prescriptions

Rate this question

Capt.

Question

Hello All,

I thought it would be somewhat helpful especially to our Veterans new or old to remind all that use the VA and its prescription program that you may be entitled for reimbursements for the copays.

I became service connected and started receiving Copay notices for prescriptions that were ,,,,,in my opinion directly RELATED to the treatment of those Service Connected diseases/injuries.

My first step was to write a letter of appeal to the finance office where charges occurred which were several years worth. I listed all of the prescriptions that even possibly could be associated with the claim that were service connected and those diseases granted not long ago .

Within 2 weeks I received a phone call from the Finance dept and a very nice pleasant representative that informed me they had carefully examined my appeal and TOTALLY agreed with my concerns and said that they were changing the billing formality that affected me. Isn't is nice to have some really nice folks to deal with at the VA. Its not all bad.

While talking with her , I also asked about the reimbursetment of medications BACK TO THE EARLIEST EFFECTIVE DATE OF THE SERVICE CONNECTED DISABILITIES. She informed me ,,,YES,,,, she had already filed a request of audit of the account because of my request. Now that is splendid news and it does mean reimbursement of those funds back to the EED. I thanked her for her help and kindness and had to have another smile for yet another small victory by being persistant and patient. Life is still good and not all a major battle with the VA.

Now the audit also will include any copays for the Doctor Visits for those Service Connected Disabilities recently awarded.

I hope I can remember this correctly and someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe it is 30%or more that will start this type of process repayment. If a Vet gets to 50% THEN ALL of the Meds and Doctors Visits are taken care of.

I also hope this helps another Veteran to pursue their benefits and the correct benefits that a Veteran is entitled to. Sometimes the old saying .....You don't get it unless you ask for it applied here.

NEVER GIVE UP. God Bless, C.C.

Edited by Capt.Contaminate

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Hello All,,,,,

Well it just seems to get more confusing each day since I posted this. Today I got a bill past due wanting 4 figures and saying they will start taking money from the VA monthly payments until it is repaid. Soooo , I call the number on my ID which reads VA Topkea Kansas. Ok.....called the number and a recording says that I have reached a number that is disconnected. Ok ,,,so I call the number that is on the letter I got today and after a 15 minute wait , I got thru and they said Ohhhhhh yes they are reviewing your case and that it could take 6-8 weeks or longer and that some of the charges will be done away with but not all from what they could tell me.

Folks ,,,,, there is really nothing easy or works as it should so I would suggest to everyone that is trying to get a refund for Service Connection back- copays and prescriptions to carefully keep all records and maybe start a new file.This is not something that will be cleared up in a few months. However I am determined and will not let the VA get away with anything.

I am going to repay some of the balence and every Veteran has the option to repay the VA with a payment plan just as I am. .........I cannot believe I just did this but rather than loose any payments for their mistakes , it is much better to pay something and keep it flowing.

Now if I get the rest service connected and I will then we will request all the money back to the dates of the filing EED if you please.

Berta,,, good luck on your backpays for this and hopefully you will not face this mess that they have with me.

One thing is for sure .......if the VA owes you money they will take their time and usually it will have mistakes. But let the VA owe you money and its like pulling hens teeth..... Another thing is for sure ....... I will NEVER GIVE UP. God Bless, C.C.

Chances are I could probably get about 10K refunded from VBA for dental work I had

done in the private sector, while waiting on my Appeal issues.

The appeal issues were granted (100%) with an effective date much further back

than I had this dental work done.

BUT . . . .

I want to stay the hell away from them re-opening my file - lol :-)

• HadIt.com Elder

BUT . . . .

I want to stay the hell away from them... - lol :-)

LOL... I want to stay the hell away from them too, carlie. Or, just write them off as a bad debt.

However, I find it notable, especially in the claims & appeal process, how the VA can act with such impunity and worn out bureaucratic corruption.

I have issues with the injustice of it all...

CB

Edited by Commander Bob