VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Copd

Rate this question

carolina52

Question

A new nurse from the VA asked me today why I don't go ahead a file a claim for COPD as I have documented having broncitis numerous times in the military. She said that is one of the main cause. Of course I smoked for 20 years,also, so I am not sure when I get the official diagnosis whether this claim would go anywhere. And if so, what I would be rated as.

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I am 43 years old and former 82nd airborne combat vet of the 1st gulf war. I have severe COPD but did not know until 2001 when a doctor took xrays because I had a very bad cold. It showed bullos emphsemma the doctor told me to quit smoking and it wouldnt get worse. I quit smoking in 2006 and was able to work at 100%. In 2011 I became disabled I have FEV1 of 32%. My doctor tells me that it is very rare to have severe copd at my age and that smoking alone didnt cause it. After finding my exit exam records from 1992 on my xray reading it plaiing states that I had bullos changes at the age of 22. However the Army didnt tell me so now I have applied for sc disabilty. I have already had my cp exam and the doctor checked the climed was at least lilkelyas notincurred in or causedby the climed in servise illness. Does anybody know if this sounds like I will get a rating of 100%? Also I have a PTSD diagonis as well.