Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Copd

Rate this question

carolina52

Question

A new nurse from the VA asked me today why I don't go ahead a file a claim for COPD as I have documented having broncitis numerous times in the military. She said that is one of the main cause. Of course I smoked for 20 years,also, so I am not sure when I get the official diagnosis whether this claim would go anywhere. And if so, what I would be rated as.

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

What is the best way to find out if any of my ships had asbestos? I believe the USS Dubuque my first ship did?

Hello Cool,

Though there has been some discussion on this issue and some list have even been listed at Hadit on previous post you may have to do some research.

Our own Berta and Terry Sturgis have had some links that I found here .

Also our JBasser has an SVR Radio Program Archived here so that you can research and find it.

I will post these and another one that needs to be here that is fairly specific to the presence of Asbestos.

http://www.maacenter...ites/navyships/

http://www.publichea...stos/index.asap NATURALLY THE VA site has an error but it is archived here under the Asbestos search

http://www.reagan.ut...egislation1.pdf

http://www.mesotheli.../shipyards.html Check on list for ships and open that site or whatever

else that might be of interest .

I hope this will help and get you some of the information you are seeking.

You may also list the ships you were on and see if the VA will check any list they have as to the year built and such. Most ships built prior to the mid 70s were almost assured of having asbestos and the Navy usually accepts this. So having some of this data as listed in your claim could be used to propel your claim . Especially coupled with any more evidence you may be able to generate to add to it. As you know by now, it is evidence that wins and nothing else.

As always making sure you do not quit is important and that you should NEVER GIVE UP. God Bless, C.C.

Edited by Capt.Contaminate

Thanks for the info! I just got back a message from a fellow crew member who was on my ship-USS Dubuque. He confirmed that we worked with it, blew the dust with air hoses, so thick you couldn't see. I might use him if I need to depending on my next doctors visit.

Don't see my ship listed on it. I do have a form the command that says I may have been exposed in my medical reports though. And I found a fellow ship mate on face book that informed me they did have asbestos. So, if they tell me I have it(can take up to 50 years to show up) I will have a major claim brewing.

Hello Cool and Stretch.... Thanks Stretch for getting that link to work for Cool.... '

Cool , Please remember that just because your ship is not on the list does not mean that it does not have asbestos. You can get this information from other sources and buddy statements will also help. It is just like Fort Greely not showing up on the AO list . However there is more than enough reports to prove that it was. Even in the Agent Orange report from the 49th Missile defense command that was released from the Environmental Impact on 2007 report ,,,,,,there are great pictures of the Asbestos piping that was at Fort Greely. As a matter of fact the report is even more condemning of the fact it was there as the pictures show extreme problems with it and even the buildings and numbers themselves. I would attack and pursue this with all the vigor and force I could muster. You will be surprised what the search may uncover in your favor.

As always NEVER GIVE UP. God Bless, C.C. ......HAPPY EASTER