Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Not Sure What To Do About Possible Ptsd

Rate this question

javguy0352

Question

I'm not sure where to go. My last deployment was when I was on active duty 3 years ago, I have since become an drilling reservist. The symptoms I have are nightmares(I don't remember many , but my wife says I yell in my sleep, sometimes in Arabic. I have even threatened her in my sleep), irritability, a few drinks to help go to sleep, and hyper-vigilance/jumpy startle easy(I always thought it was because we are trained to be vigilant, but someone told me it is a symptom). I was asleep last night when my wife came home from work, she set her keys on the dresser, I jumped out of bed with my heart racing. So I decided to post here.

I don't want any sort of compensation or claim for it, I just want to know if I need to see someone about it. The things keeping me from seeing someone are 1) VA is 1.5 hours away, 2) I don't want the chance of being passed over for re-enlistment, 3) I don't want people to know, especially the people I work with.

I'm sorry if I posted in the wrong place. I'm just not sure what to do.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

I don't want any sort of compensation or claim for it, I just want to know if I need to see someone about it. The things keeping me from seeing someone are 1) VA is 1.5 hours away, 2) I don't want the chance of being passed over for re-enlistment, 3) I don't want people to know, especially the people I work with.

I'm sorry if I posted in the wrong place. I'm just not sure what to do.

Welcome.

Below is a link for the Vet Centers.

You can go there and talk with someone.

They are located away from the VA Medical Centers.

What you talk about is confidential.

Vet Center Home Link:

http://www.vetcenter.va.gov/index.asp

You can see if a Vet Center is close to you for Arkansas at this link:

http://www2.va.gov/d...ate=AR&dnum=ALL

By all means file a claim for compensation. Once you seek treatment you will understand the disorder better. The Vet Center also have help for your family if they need it.

You need to seek help ASAP...Your symptoms will only get worse if not treated....As previuosly suggested find a vet center or go to the VA...No one needs to know except you and your counselor...I denied having PTSD for many years until I was almost suicidal due to fighting the symptoms....Now thanks to counseling and meds from the VA I am functioning better and family life at home is better...This will not go away alone....My advice is to seek help and the sooner the better...If there is no vet center close and the VA is too far away do an online search for a local PTSD support group.Many cities offer them and they are not connected to the VA....I hope this helps you out and I pray that you find some help and relief...........................................Grid

Trying to keep it hush hush is not helping you or your wife. What is more important? Going back into active duty or your marriage? Seek treatment asap before something happens that you can't take back.

Welcome to Hadit, Jav, hope you have been considering you options, not getting treatment is risky I know. Please look at what I will say is the big picture, your health.