Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hello From Virginia

Rate this question

bernie88

Question

I am 70 percent service connected for PTSD/Major Depression. Flunked CBT twice. The VA tells me my last option with them is Exposure Therapy then they are done with me. Can't say I blame them too much. My question is what should I expect? Rehashing in CBT only brought up more events and one hospitalization on the psych ward. Is this a good thing? What do I need to be concerned about before going into this? Thanks, Bernie

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Also new myself and in Virginia. RO is Roanoke I believe. Filed claim in Feb. 2011, had two C&P exams. Hoping like everyone else they will make a decision soon on my claim. I do see there is a lot of good advice and good people here. I am currently 50% rated. 40% for back and 10% for weakness in each leg. I am also an older vet served form 1972 - 1975. Did not see combat. Wish I had known about this site a long time ago as I was rated only 20% for 30 years when my back gave out again, and I lived with a lot of pain. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

Also new myself and in Virginia. RO is Roanoke I believe. Filed claim in Feb. 2011, had two C&P exams. Hoping like everyone else they will make a decision soon on my claim. I do see there is a lot of good advice and good people here. I am currently 50% rated. 40% for back and 10% for weakness in each leg. I am also an older vet served form 1972 - 1975. Did not see combat. Wish I had known about this site a long time ago as I was rated only 20% for 30 years when my back gave out again, and I lived with a lot of pain. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

Dvet, Welcome Aboard, Thank for your service! Just remember that there is a lot of good people at this site.

They can help you like they help me and give you support!!! What kind of unit were you with?

Hi Bernie, welcome and thank you for your service.

P.E. I have taken that.therapy with some good Dr's at the V.A. First of all, you will need a voice recorder, to hear your sessions, they should start you out with some very simple of your avoidance task. They have a rating system that you will assign the numbers to that particular event, and as you go in to the task, your anxiety level could grow and that is when you slow down and take notice if your S.U.D.S.( subjective unit of distress symtoms) and you give it a number.

As you return to your Dr. You will discuss the task and recall those moment while asking you of your s.u.d.s. at this present time, in different moments of reteling your experience, And the Dr.will notice your reactions with your tone, physical movements and so on, if you are lucky.you may only do this twice in this session. That is were the voice recorder comes in, you have to listen to the session. Don't worry they will not go for the jugular on your first nor your second date.

As you get the gist of how P.E. works, you may be aske about some othe complicated avoidance issues you may have. And then the same procedure of notation and Dr's visits, with what you may see is the s.u.d.s go down, hopefully.

You should put your heart in it, I kind of did that, but I mostly took it as a mission to be accomplish. What I don't understand is the "the last option, they is always group sessions, cause PTSD plays tricks on me at some moments, and I need someone there.

Anyway, Bernie, that is the gist of P.E.( prolong exposure ),good luck we are always here to help. Dan