Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hello From Socal...

Rate this question

SSGunnyG

Question

Hello community! I am from SoCal and have been lurking on this site for a few months. I'm active duty Marine Corps (22 years) set to retire this August. Started my claims process, and have found a bunch of info here. Also, I received a letter from the VA about potential retro benefits due to my father from AO exposure. Kinda weird that I'm dealing with the VA for these two things at the same time. My father died in 1999 from lung cancer, and I have no idea what kind of claim (if he had one) the VA is looking at.

Well, I plan to keep reading and understanding. Hope to hear from some of you soon.

Aaron

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Does your mother get survivor benefits? Did your father serve in Vietnam or Korea? Lung cancer is presumptive for agent orange vets, but I wonder who the benefits would go to since he has been dead over ten years? Are you the only living survivor? This is murky. It is good that you are getting your ducks in a row now.

John

Does your mother get survivor benefits? Did your father serve in Vietnam or Korea? Lung cancer is presumptive for agent orange vets, but I wonder who the benefits would go to since he has been dead over ten years? Are you the only living survivor? This is murky. It is good that you are getting your ducks in a row now.

John

My mother and father were divorced since the mid 1970's. My father served in the US Army, boots on ground in Vietnam 1968-1969. He later re-married in 1994, but his wife recently died (Nov 2011). I don't know if she was getting any benefits, since she was married to him when he died. I don't have contact with her family, I wouldn't even know how to contact them. My sister and I both received the letters in March. I hope these answers go to the direction you're asking. I'm reading a lot about Nehmer, but getting stumped by the limited information from the VA 1-800#. Went to Notification out of Seattle on March 28th. They said average 23 days. It's a little over that now. Thanks John!

Edited by SSGunnyG

Welcome, Aaron!

I grew up in San Fernando Valley / Simi, left in 78 for Air Force and have been on the road since.

Thank you for your service! smile.png

Thanks Kelly! I've enjoyed SoCal for many years. You're welcome, I've served with pleasure. Coming to an end soon, as it does for everyone at some point.