Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Trying To Obtain Record Of Psychiatrists Remarks

Rate this question

shipbuilder

Question

I sent a letter to the records center in Saint Louis requesting my medical records. I received

the medical records but not the records from a consultation with a US NAVY psychiatrist . His

letter indicating psychological / psychiatric problems and recommending I be discharged

which I was with an Honorable discharge.

I sent a second request indicating from memory the name of the pyschiatrist and the

location in 1966. Also gave the name and address of the psychiatrist who prescribes

medication and consultation for me. The request was sent over two months ago.

I wonder if they are with holding the records on purpose ? Would a request to the

VA do any good ? I want to use the records to file a claim.

gusord

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Mental Health records are different from your SMR, and so are the Hospital records. You have to specifically request these records. I would send another request for the other records

Coot

• HadIt.com Elder

I requested psychiatric records from my military file and I found out the shrink had refused to turn the records over to a courts martial. He said he was protecting me. I think he was protecting himself due to lack of care and treatment. He filled me up with anti-psychotic drugs and returned me to duty. When I got into trouble he started "protecting me". He sat there while the army kicked me out as a PD. Some protection!

• HadIt.com Elder

I found the name of the psychiatrist that was treating me in 1971. He was different that the one who supposedly did an independent exam of me for the courts martial. I don't remember him at all. I talked to St. Louis just now and explained that I wanted my mental health records from the time between July 1971 and December 1971. These are the records my treating shrink would not turn over to the courts martial. The Army's IMO did a job on my medical history and dropped all mention of depression and anxiety and focused on drug abuse and article 15's. I don't know if it matters now, but I was like a puppy left on the interstate highway. I was on anti-psychotic meds. The Army rolled over me like a tank. Five months of psychiatric records vanished and were never seen by the VA or anyone else. My JAG lawyer told me '"sign or go to jail" so I sighed everything he put in front of me. I was drived to the gate with a week's supply of psychiatric meds and told to get the hell out. I spent the next 40 years in treatment at my own expense mostly.

I wonder if I found those "lost" medical records and they DX'ed me with a mental condition besides a PD would I have a new CUE claim. The VA excluded my private treating doctor's report from my original SC decision in 1973 for which I do have a CUE at the Court. I really, really hate these people who mind^%$#@! a sick 20 year old. I would spend 10,000 bucks to make them eat &^%$.

I would spend 10,000 bucks to make them eat &^%$.

John,

The only way to make them "eat &^%$" is by winning appeals of denied issues

thereby the claimant being in receipt of compensation/benefits.

JMHO

• HadIt.com Elder

I know it Carlie. When I read old files it always sets me off due to injustice of it. I am not sure at this second of how to make them pay but can you imagine a court procedure where your expert witness refuses to release his records and your lawyer agrees without seeing them? Can you imagine a legal procedure under UCMJ where only one side is represented and your lawyer and doctor help prosecution hang you. I know they probably got the word that " help get rid of this guy or your next duty station will be Da Nang". I know UCMJ is just a Kangaroo court but I am still mad 40 years later. The shrink who refused to testify or turn over his records treated me for at least 5 months. The Command wanted me gone and I was gone. There may be hidden money here some place.

John