VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Advice On What To Do Just Got 90% Rating.

Rate this question

mnjarhead

Question

Hi Everybody, this is my first post here, but a long time reader. I need advice on what to do now that I just received an increase to 90%. Basically my ratings are as follows 50 ptsd, 50 migraines, 20 for chronic diahrea, gerd, gastritis, ulcers, 20 chronic back strain, 10 tinnitus, 10 flat feet, 0 deviated septum I am going to appeal 20 that I recently received for gastro probs and increase that was denied for deviated septum, been rated since 2003. I want to file for TDIU or try to get 100 PT, but I have a job working in a Federal Prison as a Officer for 10 years that I can barely take anymore with med mix, so I would file for FERS disability too. I cant afford to quit my job and basically gamble on TDIU and FERS should I retain a attorney, my cvso's are urging me to work, or go back to school because I am 35. I just want to be left alone and focus on my family, its been along road. Advice?

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to posting. It probably will be a couple of days before you get upgraded so that posts show immediately but I will try to check in more often and approve anything you put up

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi Everybody, this is my first post here, but a long time reader. I need advice on what to do now that I just received an increase to 90%. Basically my ratings are as follows 50 ptsd, 50 migraines, 20 for chronic diahrea, gerd, gastritis, ulcers, 20 chronic back strain, 10 tinnitus, 10 flat feet, 0 deviated septum I am going to appeal 20 that I recently received for gastro probs and increase that was denied for deviated septum, been rated since 2003. I want to file for TDIU or try to get 100 PT, but I have a job working in a Federal Prison as a Officer for 10 years that I can barely take anymore with med mix, so I would file for FERS disability too. I cant afford to quit my job and basically gamble on TDIU and FERS should I retain a attorney, my cvso's are urging me to work, or go back to school because I am 35. I just want to be left alone and focus on my family, its been along road. Advice?

Thats a tuff question..........no one here can tell you to continue or retire.

At 90% you can file for IU and SSDI along with your FERS.......I have done it and there are a few others on here that did the same. The BIG thing you need to focus on is having your doctors all in on this move if you choose to take the leap. FERS is the easy part as OPM is not hard to deal with, but with only 10 years you wont be paying all the bills with it.........if you are approved for SSDI then your FERS get knocked until age 62. The VA will be the bill payer in all of this, yet they take their sweet time.

If you decide this is the route you must take, I hope you have a nice stash in your thrift fund as this will give you some much needed funds to get through the time tables of SSDI and the VA............you can also apply for VOC rehab for school as they will pay you to go.

All this will take time.........make sure you understand that, and have the ability to eat while going through the motions.

My opinion is that if you can keep working, by all means do so. And, you are right it will take years to get your TDIU..you will have to appeal, almost certainly, and that takes 4.4 years at the BVA.

Only apply for TDIU if you have to and cant work anymore. Before you get TDIU, your doctor will have to opine that, not only can't you do your present work, but that you are unsuitable to be trained for another job, also.

For example, if you are a brick layer, and can no longer take it because of your back, then they will want to retrain you for a desk job.

I would just add that if you do decide to go the route for FERS, if it were me, I wouldn't get an attorney on an original application. Indeed, I found OPM to be the easiest to work with, so long as you have the evidence in order and an agreeable doctor. It's been years since I dealt with it, but from what I remember, it was a simpler process for that benefit...not able to do my job or any other job at my agency of employment. Also, they required an SSA application, even if awarded or not, but I had to apply for SSDI. Good luck...

With my most recent gastro claim sec to chronic NSAID use VA perscribed me, I think they low balled me the examiner put mild symptoms for everything. Had scope 2008 showed gastritis gerd ulcer, the ibs was considered chronic diahrea. The pain is much worse than made out to be on the progress notes I drew from VA exam. I plan on a IMO from my clinic, because I think I should of received a combined 60% and 10 for Dev Sep, which would of put me at 100%. Then I could pursue FERS without having to worry about TDIU. Its going to be hard to convince VARO with IMO when examiner screwed me, at least I connected it. The prison I know wont try to give me another job, because of environment, I would have to go to different agency, that I dont want. My VA psych doc wont ok me to quit he thinks we can work through my probs, with appointments once a month thats a joke. lol. Thinking about private pysch but dont know how VA would look at her opinion versus va psych. I just want to relieve my family's stress with me around, we are still dealing with the loss of our son in 2008. Thanks for advice so far,

I agree with keep working as long as you can. Being just 35 and with PTSD at 50% sitting around doing no work is a certain depression wallow.

I would suggest you go for the proper % for your conditions and then find a less demanding job or go to school to be trained for another career. Given up or staying at home at your age is just playing into a failed lifestyle.

You have many years a head for you and a loving family, use these to make a better life for yourself and your family.

If you were 60 I would support your IU but not only will you have a long fight to get your IU but more than a brutal fight for SSDI if you choose to.

Just my honest opinion, don't let this destroy your future!