Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssdi

Rate this question

rpowell01

Question

I filed SSDI back in May and it was denied. I cannot believe they do not give you a physical and make a decision without an physical. That is crazy and this should not be allowed.

From here should I file an appeal on my own without an attorney or let a SSDI attorney file the appeal? Also, anybody know any good SSDI attorneys? I know they are all over the internet and it seems Bergmann & Moore, who advertise on hadit, does not do SSDI. I need some help finding a good SSDI attorney.

Thanks,

Rob

edit:

Talked with an attorney a few minutes ago and whenever I told them I was 43 they said that probably why I was denied. This is some crazy stuff...How in the world is this allowed? Seriously.

Edited by rpowell01

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

It is odd that they don't get into how the pain affects you until later in the claim. Younger folks have a hard time at first because the first stages they just go by how well your case fits the classic grids and classic disability boxes. Disabilities caused by a combination of issues don't fit well in those boxes. And the lower level workers are not trained to "think outside the box." Luckily, when you get to the appeals level the ALJ has different tools to use. They aren't restricted to POMS. They are guided by the law - and can, and actually must, consider pain and other issues.

The frustrating thing is that it take so long to get there.

It is perfectly alright to "go on and on" (though you haven't actually done so...)

It is frustrating as heck to deal with the system - Sometimes you just want to bite someone. wink.png

free_spirit_etc I can say that if I was a drunk I would have been on SSDI already. Seriously!!! I have a Half-Uncle who is a drunk and drug user and have been all his life. He has worked on and off throughout the years since he was released from the Army back in the 70s. I didn't think he had enough points but I guess he did. Anyway he lost one of his eyes and BOOOM he was approved for SSDI!!!! Not because he lost his eye but because he is a drunk!!! True Story...My dad was upset and he is still pissed off about it and then there are us who are really hurt and can't work and we have a hard freaking time getting approved.

Its all good though, my attorney is pretty much set that I will get approved. She said I just have too many issues and medical evidence to prove it.

john999 well I already have a group working on my stuff and my hearing is set for January 14th. The attorney is out of PA and after talking with her she is very confident I will be approved. Anyway I am hoping the thoracic outlet syndrome and results are done before this date because this will be just more evidence.

BTW you remember me telling you about the pain killers in my pms and how I wouldn't give in? Well they changed me to Vicodin which was like candy and didn't do nothing then they switched it to Percocet and it does work. I just don't know how people get high or drunk on it unless they take high doses of it. Its the best decision I have made so far because I didn't realize how much pain I was actually in until I started taking it. Now, if I miss a dose boom I feel that pain so I am up everyday now at 6am to make sure I take all my meds properly. Then they upped the Gabapentin to 3600mg per day. They work as long as I take them.

I just can't believe that all the issues I have in my upper body might be because of the Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. I just hope they can fix it. But again I think the nerve damage is the real issue...I think its a done deal..