VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Psyciatric Help, For Being Sick, Off And On For 20 Years...

Rate this question

retiredat44

Question

I have had psyciatric help, for being sick, off and on for 20 years... the VA has sent me for help, because being sick they often get worried I cannot cope with the continuing illness. Theya re right I have breakdowns often, and in private,. Though, while an in patient, for surgery, I had some breakdowns with cying, and the nurses would ask if I was ok... I am not sure if they saw the crying and put the epissodes in my notes. They make extensive notes on me.. 20 years ago, the doctors sent me for mental exams, because they thought i was emtnally ill, not knowing I had pancreatic disease... they blamed my being sick and in pain on mental illness..

I got very very tired and sick of going ot the doctor every few days for so many years.. and now with claims and appeals pending,, should I start going back again for mental help? I stopped going about 2 years ago.. I goet fed up with spending so much time in the hospital... it didn't seem to help my claims for depression...

in my DRO hrearing i excplained how being sick on active duty was very depressing and I was idfigured form illness while sick on a ctive duty which made people avoid getting to close and touiching me,, I told them about all these problems during my DRO appeal hearing... I told them I have been sent for meantl health for 20 years. But, they still denied me.. they know I have not been abe to work for 20 years and can never work again...

Bottom line, should I statt making mental health appointments again... I will not take meds for depression, they make me feel worse,, they make me feel like I am sickers, in a fog..... I just lay around sick, I don't go places,, I have no desire to go places sick... I wish I could go pances.. I wish I could do things, but I just am sick, feel sick feel depressed, but going to mental health doctors, feels liek awaste, but do I need to for my claim...

do the VA claims people view my going to mental health doctors as a ruse to get my claim approved?

This whole situation really realy sucks bad, it seems no matter what,,, nothing gets better.. my health is bad, and will get worse... the appeals process is horrific... family life sucks, family life sucks... and trying to figure out what to do about these health issues is hard to figure out...

start going again,,???

I do go for treatments and tests at least every few weeks for different problems..

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Might want to work with the VA they do try to help. If you won't take meds not much they can do. Just my opinion.

IMO - of course you should have a mental health claim (depression)

BUT it should hinge SOLELY on conditions that are currently SC'd.

The MH claim should not even mention issues that ARE NOT SC'd.

Also, you should have strictly an 1151 claim for the necrotizing pancreatitis,

as it was caused by the surgery.

The 1151 has been suggested several times.

I am really watiing to see if my supposedly new lawyer has a new idea and a take on what to do...

Hopefully, I will hear from them soon... and then I wil ask them about everything... hopefully, they are getting close to telling me what they are thinking...

IMO - of course you should have a mental health claim (depression)

BUT it should hinge SOLELY on conditions that are currently SC'd.

The MH claim should not even mention issues that ARE NOT SC'd.

Also, you should have strictly an 1151 claim for the necrotizing pancreatitis,

as it was caused by the surgery.

The 1151 has been suggested several times.

• HadIt.com Elder

Go for mental health appointments and get a diagnosis. I take meds and they make me feel somewhat better. You have to shop around with medications until you find one that works. If you don't go for treatment somewhere it is hard to get SC for a mental health claim.