Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

After 23 Months! A Little Long But I Want To Tell It...

Rate this topic

Inthewind

It's been a long road and I hope it's the end. Retired in 2004 with several issues claimed but in my haste not everything I should have claimed, I was found 50%. My employment and family situation were more important to me at that time so I settled. I said "50%? It's not anything to shake a stick at" and focused on my post-retirement life and family. Cut to late 2009: In 5 years, after a move across the country, a new job, a divorce and re-marriage and ever increasingly exacerbation of my service connected issues, I decided it was time to consider requesting increases on most and adding some things that I didn't think were important to consider at the time of my initial claim. Things that were not really bothering me at the time and being the fiscal conservative that I am, didn't feel it was reasonable to cost taxpayers anymore then I absolutely needed to, but at the same time, were getting worse every additional day I was in the land of the living.

I was feeling like my options for a decent quality of life were disappearing. Depression, chronic pain (spine (CTL)) chronic tendonitis in every major joint in my body, COPD, digestive issues, chronic constipation etc, etc (And the malady of secondary comorbidities that come along with chronic pain meds) were causing me to think I'd be better off in the afterlife. Both because of the pain and the burden I was causing my family. And I've NEVER been one to think that way normally, but after 12 years of enduring...it gets old.

Then, I found Hadit. I did some research. I got my ducks in order (at the time and still, to this day, I was/am very skeptical that they were dress right dress, and won't believe anything until I get the full packet in the mail) and submitted my increase/addition in October 2010. And waited...and waited. I signed up on eBenefits, and checked...and checked. I went with the ups and downs. During the wait, I think I received a total of 3 letters from the VA telling me they were still working on my claim, to be patient. That was it.

Another cut to April 2012: I said enough is enough. I contacted my Congressman. They said they were glad to take this on. They sent a letter to the VA inquiring into the status in early May. Nothing changed. Early June, I contacted the Houston RO and got hung up on three times. The last time, before the woman hung up on me she said "Your claim is on a desk at the bottom of a pile and that’s all I can tell you!" CLICK

So, back to my Congressman: They send another inquiry, mid-June. 2 days after I get a letter from them, I get my packets in the mail for 3 C&P exams at the end of June. My status in eBenefits changed from CLAIM RECEIVED to GATHERING OF EVIDENCE. I go to my exams; the provider at one of the exams was a GP and I have significant ortho issues. Would that have been grounds for an appeal? So, C&P's at QTC done end of June. There’s nothing until the middle of August when my status changes from GATHERING OF EVIDENCE to PREPERATION FOR DECISION?? Again, WTF?? Last week, it went from PREPERATION FOR DECISION to PENDING DECISION APPROVAL. Then, as everyone has seen, the website does an upgrade last week and in WHAT HAVE WE NOT RECEIVED it shows almost line for line that they haven't received ANYTHING!! I freaked out like most did. I thought I had everything in order! Then the next day, all of that nonsense disappears and my status changes to PREPERATION FOR NOTIFICATION. All the while I'm being very pessimistic, skeptical, whatever negative definition you want to put on it...that I'll probably come back rated lower then I went into the process.

I was checking eBenefits almost on the hour; on my phone, at work on my work computer, on my wife’s iPad...every chance I got. Checking letters (AB8, AB3). Then today, I'm checking the website and it's showing "Open Claims information is not available at this time." So I take a shot and using my phone, go to the letters section and download the (AB8) notice a change.

My pay, effective as of 1 September 2012, is $3037.00!!!!!!!!

I dropped my phone in the toilet!

I went from 50% to 100%.

After calming down, I go to the computer and look at the AB3 and it states:

We are providing you with this letter so you may receive commissary store and exchange privileges from the Armed Forces. This is to certify _______ is an honorably discharged veteran of the Army and is entitled to disability compensation at the 100 percent rate due to service-connected disability(ies).

This total disability is considered permanent. You are not scheduled for future examinations.

I'm still not even considering it a truth until I get the packet in the mail or a deposit in my account.

I AM however, grateful as always to EVERYONE on HADIT. I've learned a lot here. The information is priceless and provides such a service to a population that most have given up on. I salute everyone at HADIT. I cannot say thank you enough. You basically saved my life.

Edited by Inthewind

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats InTheWind! Always great to read when a vet has succeeded in obtaining what he deserves and has earned from service to our great country. Thank you very much for sharing the information about your claim process - I'm sure it will help others who are still waiting and looking at ebenefits for answers. Sorry but I had to laugh about you dropping your phone in the toilet - I'm a visual type person and could visualize that happening:)

Congrats again and thank you very much for your service to our country!

“A nation reveals itself not only by the men it produces, but also by the men it honors, the men it remembers.” - John F. Kennedy

Thanks USMC5811 and broncovet!

I'm a firm believer in sharing knowledge, paying it forward. Especially since I couldn't have done it without others feeling the same way.

Great news Inthewind,

I love a story with a happy ending. These days everyone is worried

about financial security. Sometimes good things happen to good

people. Success stories like yours gives people hope. Thank you

for your service & sharing your experience. Last week I dropped my phone

in my coffee cup believe it or not. It was a perfect swish.Good luck

to you & your family. Glad you got what you deserve.

Bob K

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use