VA Disability Claims Community Forums - HadIt.com Veterans

• veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

15 Months And Still "gathering Evidence"

rebelranger

Question

This is outrageous, who can I talk to to speed things up? I mean I understand their case load but really 15 months and still in the "gathering evidence" stage. I've went to all my meetings, been repeatedly told I have problems, now I just need help. Why does the VA do this? I wish the presidential elections would focus on this for just one second! AHHH so mad

• Answers 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

More then a few of us here can relate to your frustration with the system. Ebenefits is NOT always correct as far as where your claim is in the system - at least not until it shows your in the decision phase. Any movement is nice to see - but some have been in the Review of Evidence Phase for 15 months as well. How long it stays in each phase depends on soooo many things, but especially how backed up your specific Regional Office is. Have you had your C&P exams yet?

I agree with you in regards to the presidential elections, but sadly we veterans are not the majority in America and to be perfectly honest even if they (politicians) did mention our plight with the VA System on their campaign trail (only to get the vet vote or active duty military vote) - it would probably just be more chest pounding = just a display with no real fixes of this horribly broken system. IMO the whole system needs to be taken apart - not just "fixed". Every few years they state the system will be fixed - claims will be processed faster and with less errors by such and such a date - but those dates keep moving back every few years as well. The one thing that has at least shown improvement - no thanks to the actual VA system - is that vets of today are more knowledgeable in regards to the system and putting in claims then they were in the past ....... thanks to fellow veterans.

Tbird just posted the Monday morning report for each Regional Office on this thread - to get an idea of how far behind the RO's are check it out:

Edited by USMC5811 (see edit history)

My husband filed claims for PTSD, tinnitus, and hearing loss in Oct. 2010. He finally had C&P exams done in May. His claim on EBene went from gathering evidence to rating phase and is now back in gathering evidence, and it's been 23 mos. Hang in there it will happen sooner or later. His 100% SC is IHD filed on FastTrack, but should still be compensated for the others. Good Luck!

This is outrageous, who can I talk to to speed things up? I mean I understand their case load but really 15 months and still in the "gathering evidence" stage. I've went to all my meetings, been repeatedly told I have problems, now I just need help. Why does the VA do this? I wish the presidential elections would focus on this for just one second! AHHH so mad

It took me start to finish about 12 months to get 100% compensated and 18 months to get 100% P&T. Every two weeks I would call the 1-800 number and waited and waited, but findly get someone to come on the line and I would not let them go until they got me someone to give me answer of my status. If was not happy with the information I would ask very nice" please I need help and is there anybody else that can help"!

I hate the 1-800 number, but it was the only choice to talk to a person at VA. My VSO was a joke, they were hit and miss.

• HadIt.com Elder

My CUE claim is almost 7 years old and the VA did not have to gather any evidence. All the evidence was right there in front of them. There was no need for a C&P exam. The only need was for someone to make a decision based on the evidence. In my case it is just about the money the VA does not want to pay. Any time the VA can delay paying a claim they are winning.

So we are at 16 months now, still nothing.

Tomorrow I'm sending a letter to Secretary Eric K. Shinseki! This is total BS. I don't know if I've had a C&P but my VA Mental Health Doctor, VA Social worker, VA speech pathologist, and VA general Dr have all diagnosis me with PTSD, TBI, and shoulder issues. The VFW filed everything for me. I have meet with each of these doctors and was given examines but I never got anything saying it was a C&P.

How does everyone talk to someone on the 800 number? All I ever get is scheduled call back time that NEVER CALLS ME BACK.

IRIS is a joke, I only get "your claim will be reviewed in the order it was received"

Ebenefits says evidence required but everything shows as being received. What gives here.

Really the VA stated it only takes on average 2.6 hours to process a claim Supreme Court Case 12-296 "Veterans for Common Sense and Veterans United for Truth, Inc. v. Eric K. Shinseki (U.S. 2012).

The facts as stated and presented before the Supreme Court from the above listed case are scary and offensive. Basically every day Veterans are killing themselves, when money is not at issue. The VA has even stated money is not an issue! Why do they do this? I'm seriously about to lose my mind on someone.

Another couple months and now I get this added to my ebenefits...

What Did We Not Receive?

This is a list of items that have never been received from you and that have been closed.

Items

Date Requested

Date Closed

PTSD - Need stressor details/med evid combat-related incdnt

07/26/2011

01/16/2012

Proof of service (DD214, etc.)

07/26/2011

01/16/2012

Request Service Treatment Records from Veteran

07/26/2011

01/16/2012

Continuity - med evid since service needed (headaches)

07/26/2011

01/16/2012

Continuity - med evid since service needed (arm numbness to include pain)

07/26/2011

01/16/2012

Continuity - med evid since service needed (post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD))

07/26/2011

01/16/2012

10 day memo letter to veteran

01/17/2012

02/16/2012

Notice - VA is requesting STRs from the RMC

07/26/2011

01/16/2012

VCAA Notice Response

07/26/2011

01/16/2012

PTSD- fear w/hostile mil/terrorist (original)

07/26/2011

01/16/2012

PTSD - Need stressor details/med evid of stressful incdnt

07/26/2011

01/16/2012

Where did all this come from? The local VA hospital has all this! My VFW rep has the 10 day memo and I sent in the VCAA Notice! What is going on? What do I do? A VA MH DR diagnosed me with PTSD, even said it to my face. A VA social worker, psych, and speech pathologist DX me with TBI, and a VA Dr DX my arm issue! why is the VARO saying all this is missing?

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA knows this is hard on you. They know many will give up. This is where you have to hang in there and go through the motions. I am surprised they have not set up a C&P for you. All I can say is to just hang in there and don't give the VA an excuse to say you failed to prosecute your claim. Do you have a combat award?

Yes Combat action ribbon and NAM. I took the DBQ in today and saw both my social worker and Psych. they both said they can't fill out the DBQ on the spot my psych took it and started it and said in our next visit she'll complete it.

How do I get them to set up a C&P? Both of my doctors show the VA has DX me with PTSD, anxiety, TBI,and some neuro stuff. They said they don't understand why I haven't got a C&P set up. I tried to talk to my VFW rep on how to get a C&P and they said they can't get it, that the VA has to do it.

What do I do to get this ball rolling. Seriously this claim was started in July of 11 and is still in the gathering Evidence on ebenefits!

• HadIt.com Elder

If you have CAR your stressor is conceded. You don't have to prove it. You just have to write it up as you remember it. Just choose the worst incident you can remember. I don't know why the VA is stalling your claim. You have DX of PTSD. You have combat stressor. Yours is an easy one.

John

Still nothing! I haven't even got a C&P! I called the RO VFW rep who said "sorry man, really it is a hurry up and wait game." I'm seriously about to drive (4 hours) to my RO and chaining myself inside the building until I get results!

When I call and wait on the 1-800- number the VA reps just say everything is done and the process is working. WORKING means progress which in my case is ZERO!

I hate the VA, it is crap!

Well Ebenefits has changed and now they say all the requested information I sent in was "unsolicited" and I'm missing several pieces of information but it is there in the "unsolicited" box. June 2010 claim with ZERO movement! Dec 2012 C-file request with ZERO movement! I've called the RO VFW rep and he said nothing can be done but wait. Is it possible with all the VA dr visits and meds that they will rate me without a C&P? All the docs have said that PTSD is certain along with TBI.

Well I had my first of three C&P exams. This one was for PTSD. The doctor really just read the VA DBQ questions and then asked a few general questions. Hopefully this claim will finally get settled.