Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Has Anyone Ever Done A Fully Documented Claim?

Rate this question

Snookster

Question

I am currently rated at 50% PTSD and am waiting on a C&P for hearing & tinnitus in a week or so. I have a signed statement from my Psychiatrist AND my psychologist alluding to the fact that I am completely unable to continue ANY type of work.

I found info on a FDC and am wondering if this should be my next claim? I have everything (including statement from my last job) that I can see that they would want.

Has anyone ever done this? Would it be worth my while? Would my claim really get decided quicker?

I have also filed for SSDI last week and was told we did a good job on our paperwork with them, so maybe that's a good sign too.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Snookster

Vietnam Veteran with PTSD..

Federally Medicated for your protection.

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

The concept of FDC is really nothing new. A Vet told me that, when she got out of the military 20 years ago, she was able to get a complete copy of her SMR,'s which she kept.

So, when she applied for benefits 10 years ago, she had full documentation, along with her current medical records. She was able to get Service connection in 4 months.

So, most certainly, if you got a copy of your SMR's when you exited the military, by all means send a copy of them to the RO, along with your current medical exams.

For most Vets, however, this is a pipe dream. They dont have a copy of their SMR's, in part, because that was back when we were "invincible" and what on earth would we need medical records for, anyway?

Next, we have often moved, sometimes several states away, and medical records are strung out in many different places. Even tho I want to the VA in different states, the records that arrived from VAMC "A" to VAMC "B" are woefully inadequate and incomplete. As my wife said, there can not be that many "glitches" in our paperwork without someone at the helm performing them. About 1000 Vets a day die, so the VA has a good chance you will too, if they can just delay you for a few more years. It works, so the VA keeps it up.

Please, dont get me wrong. If you have these records, by all means send them in, along with your other documentation. If, however, you are in the majority who does not have his complete SMR's and/or medical records after service then dont smoke the "hopium" offered by the VA that if you just order your records first, then send them in, your claim will go much faster. It will yield you a later effective date, and not save you any time.

Appreciate the info my Brother, but I have done my homework with SSDI and am comfortable with my paperwork. Not expecting miracles, but I wouldn't bet against what I gave them...

HOWEVER.....The question remains...has ANYONE ever filed a FDC for IU??

Thanks for looking!

Snook

Your rating is 50% at that you will not get the IU for you need one rating at 60% or a combo of ratings totaling 70%. You will need to ask for an increase in the PTSD and ask for the IU at the same time. IU is the last part of any claim that is decided and there is a lot of work to be done by the RO before it rules on the IU part. Get the paperwork filled out on your employers going back 5 years of your last date of working. I had one veteran not tell me he was laid off from a company 4 ½ years before his PTSD got the better of him. Now it is well over a year waiting for the IU. If I knew in the first place it would have been done now.

If you have the “bad boy reports" good you will need to send them in with the form on your employment. Talk to the past employers to let them know the VA will be calling them about you and your PTSD and the reports. Also see if he will write you a letter, this will help speed things up.

You will need to send in the letters your doctor did for you, this will help in the PTSD increase. Yes you will be given a new C&P for your PTSD. You cannot “man up’ in the C&P. this is what causes many veterans to get a lower rating. If you feel like you’re about to cry, then cry if you feel anger then show it. Do not hide your feeling.

James A. Bunker

Executive Director

National Gulf War Resource Center

Phone: 785-925-9887

Email: Do not post your email address.

Join us on Facebook

Well, my C & P went well, but I was DENIED for my hearing loss & tinnitus. What they said was they couldn't see a S/C for my claim. Crap, it was the biggest blast EVER on an American base. You might have heard of the Cam Ranh Bay attack. Blew our ammo dumps sky high. 2 am ...what a time to fight! August 25, 1971.

At this point, I am going ahead with my FDC. It can't get any worse and I have nothing to lose. I have my Psych. letters both of them. explaining my inability to work or even hold part time work. I have my form from my employer already signed and I am waiting for a decision on my SSDI.

Only time will tell......

Best of luck to all.

Snookster

Vietnam Veteran with PTSD..

Federally Medicated for your protection.