Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Homebound

Rate this question

believe

Question

My C&P exam records show that the doctor listed me as homebound. Do I have to still apply for homebound or could I be awarded that when a decision is made on my claim without ever applying for it?

• Answers 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

M21 manual says that whenever a single 100% disability is awarded, there is an inferred claim for SMC:

[DOC]

Part III, Subpart iv, Chapter 6, Section B. Determining the ...

page 5b and 6b

M21-1MR, Part III, Subpart iv, Chapter 6, Section B

Edited by broncovet

Thanks broncovet. I do have evidence. My C&P exam doctor has me as housebound in my records. I also haven't had a job outside my home since getting out the military. Tax returns prove that.

Edited by believe

The VA housebound decision states that there is no evidence to show that I am in fact housebound. Im confused, Are they looking for a different type of evidence?

My C&P exam states "Psychosocial and Environmental Problems (describe, if any): social alienation, underemployment, "housebound", limited access to health care.

The VA decision also states that the housebound form submitted does not show that my current impairment is likely to be permanent and no subsequent medical evidence has been submitted for review.

My psychologist sent additional evidence a month after the housebound claim was opened and the VA verified that it was recieved. Part of the statement from my doctor says that I am "permanently and substantially confined to my home".

Also just to clarify, none of the doctors Ive seen said that my condition is likely to improve. It only said that on my decision letter.

Devil dog, I'm no expert here but I think you'll do we'll to go back and read the advice Carlie gave you a few weeks ago concerning the smc issue. I know it was hard to hear but you can see the wisdom in her information manifested in the denial letter the va sent you. To paraphrase her and essentially the va soc for the denial: they didn't think you met the two bottom line criteria for smc s. you didn't meet the total +60 bar and the va didn't grant a permanent status to your condition. I think you might have been confused as to whose opinion counts most here, ie the DRO or your C&P doc. I can tell you from experience that regardless of what the docs opinion states, unless the va seconds that with their own clear adjudication, it holds little value. This is because the DRO looks at the overall case whereas the doc is limited to the medical aspects of your condition. It's not all bad though brother, you still got your 100% for now. All you have to do is try to maintain it by keeping a regular follow up record with your mental health doc and you should be able to keep your % when the time comes for them to check you for improvement in the future. I would check with SSDI and see if you can't get some extra monetary help in addition to what you have and just try to protect and preserve your gains so far in the future. I know you don't feel we'll, but your physically in one piece and you didn't have to wait forever to get your 100% like most of the vets on here have. Quitting while you're ahead isn't the same as quitting brother. From one grunt to another, wish you all the best. Semper Fi.

Thanks man. The extra income would be nice but I'm more worried about having another exam. I would be satisfied if I didn't have to go to another exam and also not get housebound pay benefits.

I just don't understand though. What constitutes housebound and permanent? The DRO decision that I was 100% and likely to improve is not based on the new evidence I submitted with my housebound claim.

I have had this condition for over 10 years. My psychologist who's been treating me for a couple years, states that my condition is permanent which is new evidence and the C&P doctor states I'm housebound.

Maybe I will reread this thread but from what I thought I understood, I would qualify without the 100% plus 60% because I am in-fact housebound.

Oh yea .. if I had a choice of choosing between this 100% pay and having a normal life where Im able to go in public .. no doubt about it I will choose having a normal life. I literally never go in public around people.

Edited by believe