Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Homebound

Rate this question

believe

Question

My C&P exam records show that the doctor listed me as homebound. Do I have to still apply for homebound or could I be awarded that when a decision is made on my claim without ever applying for it?

• Answers 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks man. The extra income would be nice but I'm more worried about having another exam. I would be satisfied if I didn't have to go to another exam and also not get housebound pay benefits.

I just don't understand though. What constitutes housebound and permanent? The DRO decision that I was 100% and likely to improve is not based on the new evidence I submitted with my housebound claim.

I have had this condition for over 10 years. My psychologist who's been treating me for a couple years, states that my condition is permanent which is new evidence and the C&P doctor states I'm housebound.

Maybe I will reread this thread but from what I thought I understood, I would qualify without the 100% plus 60% because I am in-fact housebound.

Oh yea .. if I had a choice of choosing between this 100% pay and having a normal life where Im able to go in public .. no doubt about it I will choose having a normal life. I literally never go in public around people.

I know how you feel buddy, I think we maybe got out at about the same time, 2006 right? I didn't ask for help on my PTSD stuff either till 2010. Thing is the va isn't really as interested in helping us as it is advertised, they know you've been dealing with this for over 10 years, but to them the clock started when they acknowledged your service connection. It makes more sense when you see them as interested in paying as little as possible for the damage you suffered in service instead of expecting help and fair treatment from them. From that point of view, it's not so hard to see that they will hold you to that permanent + 60% bar until you prove them wrong. It means they gave you 100% for all your psych issues, therefore they don't see what else you expect them to give you that extra 60 for, and without that extra 60, you get no smc. Unless you can show them proof that your current condition will not improve in the next 10years( their 10 as in starting when they gave you sc). Even if your doc says your condition is permanent, they will say they need more proof that it will stay this severe for the rest of your life. They say this because they know you can't guarantee this when it comes to mental issues. And there is the box they got you in. To make sure you know they mean business, they added that veiled threat that even that 100 they gave you isn't set in stone, and that means the future C&P's. you have to go to these like Carlie said devil dog because skipping them is all the excuse they will need to take it all away from you. But it's really not as scary as the threat seems. Just show up when they ask to see you and remember the symptoms that got you this 100%. I'm not telling you to pretend. But knowing what they are looking for helps prepare you to meet them without so much fear. They have to prove you are better than when they awarded you, so all you need to do is defend with lots of psych appointment records showing you haven't improved. Long story short, you beat the hard part already brother, just don't let them tell you you've improved and there's nothing to fear from those C&P exams. Semper Fi.

Thanks again. Well said. I guess I will have to suck it up and go when Im scheduled for another 1. Easier said than done though.

True. Just let your motivator be the fact that these heartless and unsympathetic bureaucrats are hoping you don't show up for an easy excuse to take away the food off your table. That's why they make the C&P sound so threatening and menacing, because it really isn't once you show up. Don't worry about the crowds, just be about your business, and know that as long as you tell the doc you're not better, they can't take anything from you. From now on train yourself to think of it that way, it's your day in court, not your execution date. You're there to tell them how you feel because it is the only time they are forced by law to hear what you have to say, the rest of the time it's thanks for your service marine and you're forgotten. There are many of us in your place so don't feel alone. And most of all, don't let them steal from you what you earned with your youth, it might be all that will be guaranteed you from society from here on out. Not showing up is like letting them rob you without a fight. And I know we taught you better than than in the corps. Oorah.

The criteria for housebound are EITHER

100 plus 60 OR

"Housebound in fact" (when your doc says you are housebound).

If your doc says you are housbound, and the VA denies stating your medical records dont support it, then it means either:

a. The VA did not read your evidence

b. The VA did not have your evidence, in other words they lost or shredded it.

The remedy to both is to appeal. If your doc's evidence is "weak", then you may need and IMO/IME to support it.

The evidence is not weak. I believe that is the reason I am rated at 100%. It also states my agoraphobia is extreme, which is why they should understand why Im housebound. I will file the appeal. Thanks

Broncovet has a point buddy, maybe you don't need to prove your condition is permanent to get the smc s. I think you have enough proof that your housebound, perhaps that's enough grounds for an appeal but I'm no expert. Either way you can keep what you got by simply showing up, and listening to Broncovet might help you build on it even more.