Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Large White Envelope Awarded 20% But Benefits Withheld

Rate this topic

52d

Hi everybody I have been reading on here off and on and have recieved a wealth of info from this site. I filed this claim march 2011 for hearing loss, tinnitus, High cholesterol, low back pain, ankle pain from a fracture in 1989(VA says my medical record states it was a sprain) and also I filed for hip pain secondary to the ankle because i favor the other side. My story goes back to 1992 when I left active duty and I did file for the hearing loss, LBP, and ankle pain and stiffness but I never followed through and i moved several times. I have other problems(several GWI symptoms) that i have not filed yet because a friend(who is 100%) told not to load the VA with too much info, and to get my foot in the door first. I am very happy and thankful that the process has started, and hopeful it will all work out. My paperwork says that the benefits are withheld because I got separation pay($10K) when I left active duty and that it has to be reimbursed before i get any bennies. Is this true? Is there anything I can do to change it? My 20% was from 10% lumbar strain & 10% ankle sprain. I was denied service connection for bilateral hearing loss and tinnitus(this is the one I was sure I would get a % on before I took the hearing test) during the hearing test the audiologist told me that the test was inconclusive because the sounds I could hear were not matching up with the sounds when he spoke words to me. On another note I was selected for a job to work at the VA, but still going through the preemployment screening. Will this affect the outcome of the job or my disability rating? thanks in advance

its true. i received severance pay when i was medically discharged from the navy in 1988. the navy and subsequently the va both awarded me 10 percent. for years, i did not receive a monthly check.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

52d

I work for the VA as well and don't worry about filing your appeals it has no affect on your employment. Congratulations on that as well. However you will have to repay the separation benefit before receiving any monetary benefits. As far as preference for Government Jobs you will remain a five point preference eligible unless your disability percentage gets to 30% then you become a 10 points preference eligilble and rise to the top of the list when applying for Government jobs. Keep working at your claims.

OOh Rahh

52d

I work for the VA as well and don't worry about filing your appeals it has no affect on your employment. Congratulations on that as well. However you will have to repay the separation benefit before receiving any monetary benefits. As far as preference for Government Jobs you will remain a five point preference eligible unless your disability percentage gets to 30% then you become a 10 points preference eligilble and rise to the top of the list when applying for Government jobs. Keep working at your claims.

OOh Rahh

when did that change? i was awarded a 10 point preference in 1988 because of my medical discharge. i was 10 percent at that time.

The point system really confused me...

How many point can one get?

Do you get points for being in the gulf war? (something i read on the internet)

Is 10 pts the max?

RE: My separation pay. it wasn't for a medical discharge it was for the early out program. Do I still have to pay that back?

The point system really confused me...

How many point can one get?

Do you get points for being in the gulf war? (something i read on the internet)

Is 10 pts the max?

RE: My separation pay. it wasn't for a medical discharge it was for the early out program. Do I still have to pay that back?

unless, it has changed 10 is the max.

don't lnow about paying back for early seperations not medical in nature.

Edited by iceturkee

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use