VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Help With Chronic Service Connected Pain Issues.

Rate this topic

you need to go see a chiropractor. I thought it was all hokus pokus, but they can be a big help. A friend of mine had a similar neck problem, turned out it was a bone spur, pinching a nerve. And a chiro found it, . They know bones. for 60 dollars, u can get a real good idea whats going on inyour neck. I was mis diagnosed for lower back problem by va, for last 20 years. Now I know whats wrong, thanks to chiropractor.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with 63sierra...I also went to chiropractor. ..get a copy of all your X rays and take with you. Chiro could prob tell you immediately! I have degenerative disc, bone spurs, buldging disc with one pushing on my spinal cord. Well worth $60

• 1 month later...

The VA actually prescribed both chiropractic AND deep dry needle therapy for me - the chiropractic care at an outside facility, and the needle therapy through PT at the VAMC.

After two years of fighting pain management, during which time I finally started going to the nearest ER for spine pain relief, my Psychiatrist put me in touch with a VA Neurologist who listened carefully and reviewed my case thoroughly. The Neurologist put me through a couple of last ditch drug trials, then prescribed a very limited number of percocet per month, to be taken for migraines and or when spine pain would ordinarily send me to the ER for pain relief. That same Neurologist put a consult in for PM&R, the "other" pain management group at my VAMC, which is described as more holistic, and can prescribe chiropractic care, acupuncture, yoga, water therapy, deep needle therapy, etc.

So the combination of Pregabalin, Needle therapy, TENS unit, chiropractic care, a special mattress on an electric adjustable bed, an electric wheelchair with tilt and recline, and the limited number of percocet I get per month have me barely hanging on. But that's better than I was doing 6 or so months ago when I went ballistic after a pain management doc told me to "learn to not feel my pain as a diabetic learns not to eat a donut." No joke, that's what the man said. And I have MRI evidence showing a host of serious disk and vertebrae pathology.

I think the key was complete honesty, and being willing to try what he asked me to try, despite my skepticism. I ruthlessly adhere to our agreement (e.g., not taking the meds preemptively, not getting meds from any other source, keeping alcohol to a minimum, and never taking more than the prescribed number per month), even when I'm in so much pain I cannot function and my depression takes me to scary places. I hope that in time he will agree to try a preemptive approach so I can live a little more.

oh yes the va has been giving me vicodin for 3 years with no diagnosis for my back. THEY ARE DENYING YOUR PROBLEM BECAUSE IT WILL MEAN COMPENSATION AND OTHER SERVICE CONNECTED ISSUES. Back problems rarely get better, they know they cant fix them,. so whats the point of diagnosis? thats thier mentality.

back problems are not rocket science , its either muscle spasm, muscle strain, or pinchjing of nerves causing inflamation.

jcan786 u have to sign a pain contract before u can get opiates from the va, one condition is submitting to urine drug tests, they test FREQUENTLY. If you have mary jane in your system,or any other unprescribed stuff, they will take the pain meds away permanently.also

if u test and DONT have the prescribed meds they will take them away permanantly.

they mostly give out trash, 500 mg aceto with 5 mg hydrocodone. Ive heard the epidural injections work very good, and im trying to see a ortho doc to try them but they are stonewalling me, not letting me see a ortho doc, and denying my back problem. Even though I brought proof from a medical doctor who specializes in my problem.