Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New To Forums, Not New To Va Bs

Rate this question

SP4RVN1971

Question

Howdy, newbie here to the forums, just found this and I hope that it will be cool to hear from other vets in our various struggles.

I am a USMC Infantry vet from the OIF era, serving out of Camp Fallujah with 2/2.

Currently have a laundry list of service connected disabilities, and am trying my damndest to 'get better.' 70% service connected with individual unemployability because I lost my job because I couldn't stand for lengthy periods of time, and cannot work in the family business because of physical limitations.

Current battle is with trying to get some form of pain medication for chronic pain issues that are undiagnosed. The Doctors here seem VERY reluctant to give a prescription for anything, my last ER visit there got me 4... yes 4 Tramadol, which didn't even dent my pain scale. I'm so scared of being labled a drug seeker, when that isn't the case, the case is that I've been seeking treatment for this issue for YEARS now and finally have reached my breaking point with pain.

Also, TMJ is kicking my ass right now, anyone else getting jaw issues while on Seroquel??? I feel like I clench my jaw a TON when I take this medication, and now it hurts to open my mouth along with audible pops, clicks, and grinding sounds. Not fun.

Anyways, greetings everyone. Knowledge is power.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Welcome and thank you for you service...You might see if your Doc will prescribe you Diclofenac.I take it once a day and it helps with pain Doesn't kill it but dulls it to a manageble level.Plus it is not an Opiate.I also have Tramadol avaliable but very seldom use it anymore...And as was previously pointed out see if you can go to the pain clinic..

Also see if they will switch you Trazadone for your sleep.They switched me from Mirtazipine to Trazadone a few months ago to try to see if it would bring my Glucose reading down.I don't really think it has done much there but I am sleeping much better and wake up much more rested.And don't worry too much if you are taking other antidepressants as I take the generic forms of Effexor and Prozac plus the Trazadone.All prescribed by my VA shrink and have no reaction to taking all three together other than my Depression is the under the best control it has been in years.

For what it is worth Depression can make your Pain seem more intense anf the Pain adds to the Depression.It is a really vicious circle.But saying that I do not seem to hurt (or notice it) as much now that my Depression is being controlled.So there is a good possibility that you are experiencing some of this.And the VA will try to blame a problem on something else if they can think get away with it...I am extremely fortunate in that I have a decent PC doc and an EXCELLENT Psychiatrist.

Good luck and keep pushing back......................................Grid

Edited by Gridsmasher11

John999 - Yes I was referred to the local VA Pain Clinic, where he promptly, and rudely informed me that they do NOT prescribe pain medication. They then proceeded to tell me that pretty much all they would do is these 'Trigger Point Injections' which they briefly explained and gave me a handout sheet, I did agree to an appointment for that, but called and cancelled it shortly thereafter because I have family members who have had bad experiences with such injections... My second qualm with that, is that if they have no idea what is causing the pain, is it really prudent to start jabbing around back there with needles??? I am by no means an expert on this procedure, so if that IS what the idea is, and it DOES help, please let me hear some stories about it... I just really hate needles as whimpy as that is to say.

Gridsmasher (cool name, is it arty or FDC related?) - They haven't prescribed me anything, opiate or narcotic or otherwise in terms of pain relievers... I had 4 tramadol from the ER and that was my only experience with it. As for Trazadone, it sounds familiar but I am not currently on it, just the seroquel, and I can't say that I like it all that much. Right now the depression/PTSD is not being treated with medicine besides the sleep aid qualities of Seroquel... they don't want to add side effects to me, and I kind of told my shrink that it is pointless to treat that right now, when the Pain is really my main issue, and I'm going to be in a bad mood regardless of anti-depressants if I'm in pain..

Thanks again for replies people, good to hear from y'all.

LivingInPain, the name is Arty related.Its what I used to do.I took out gridsquares..I was an MLRS launcher chief during the Gulf War and my track was C11.Funny I can't remember my wifes birthday from year to year but I can still qoute the serial number of the weapon I used in war.

Have you been diagnosed with PTSD by the VA.If not you really need to get there.Also if you have been diagnosed by them they really should be treating you with some form of antidepressant.The depression and PTSD can get very much worse very quickly.When I was finally able to get a mental health appt. and diagnosed with PTSD/Depression I was very down,always in a rage and was having suicidal identations..So get help for that.....And it looks like that you must have a really bad PC doc.Mine is pretty good.If I go in and tell her that something is not working she has no problem recommending an alternate scrip.When I told her that 800mg motrin did nothing for my constant knee and wrist pain anymore she changed me to Tramadol.I would have preferred Celebrex (works really well for me) but it is not in the VA formulary.She has also offered to get me shots in my knees for the constant pain which I have yet to take her up on......I know you probably don't want to take more meds but you will have to face the facts that with your injuries and health problems you are going to have to take some.I know it is a pain but it will greatly improve your quality of life and making living with these more bareable.

Good luck........................grid

• HadIt.com Elder

Your pain clinic is quilty of malpractice. Every pain clinic prescribes opiates because they are the only thing that will treat some kinds of pain. You are being poorly served by your VAMC and I would take it up with medical director's office. My clinic was slow to prescribe opiates but did, in fact, precribe methadone, morphine, oxycodone and fentanyl at different time.